Hi,

Due to my laptop having a strange COM port problem I decided to try and fix it by doing a 'repair' with my Windows 2000 Professional disk. When I put the disk in, it asked if I wanted to 'upgrade' and keep all my existing software or 'full install' and lose everything.

I chose upgrade and it spent some time gathering information, building drivers etc...

When it rebooted it came up with a Setup screen that said it was installing devices such as keyboard, mouse. (During this time your screen may flicker etc).

It gets about half way through and then I get a message saying:
"Digital Signature Not Found on Intel(R) 82815 Graphics Controller, Do you want to continue installation?"

It doesn't matter whether I press Yes or No at this point, it continues the installation for a short time and then flashes up the blue screen of death saying:
"STOP: 0x0000001E {0xC0000005,0X00000000,0X00000000,0X00000000}
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group."

More like contact Alcoholics Anonymous, this thing is driving me mad!

So far, I've tried booting into Safe Mode but no joy, it still brings up the 'setup' screen and tries to continue setting up.

I've tried booting from the CD and Repairing the installation again, but upon reboot it still tries to continue setting up.

I just want to turn off the setting up now and boot into the existing operating system.

I tried booting into Console Repair and managed to copy Boot.ini to Boot2.ini and then copy Boot.bak to Boot.ini in the hope that this would maybe bypass the setup screen, but still no joy.

I just want to get back into the computer now.. I don't care about the COM port problem any more...

Please please please help if you can.

A big thanks for any light you can shed on this.. I've tried to provide as much info as possible but if you need anymore just ask.

Cheers

JT

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

You must now reinstall your windows ... dont upgrade it .. just install a fresh copy.

You must now reinstall your windows ... dont upgrade it .. just install a fresh copy.

NOOOOOooooooooo !
*falls on his knee's clutching his head and looks to the sky*
WHHHHHYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyy !!!!!!
*sobs frantically*

What I meant to say was, are you sure? Absolutely sure? There's stuff on that computer that I really really don't want to lose. Is there no other way of getting around this?

:-|

Hey,
I am having the same problem with Windows 2000 Prof.
I am just wondering if you had to reinstall JohnnyT, because as you said...I really don't want to do that all again. I just got it installed last month.
Thanks!!
:rolleyes:

CattyGurl

I'm afraid I had to do a full reinstallation to get it working...

There may be another way but if there is, I couldn't find it...

So... boil the coffee... its gonna be a long night....

(sorry I couldn't be more help)

;)

Thats OK,
Oh well here we go again...
Thanks!!
Cattygurl
:cool:

Yes well, we have all been there. I can't even rememeber now how many times i have installed an OS...

On a personal note, those who need to reinstall especially on a laptop, should consider formating your hard drive with 2 partitions. Use the first partition @ about 10 gigs (+/- depending) or so for the operating system and the program files, use the second partion for your personal files folders, pictures, install files, downloaded stuff... etc... MOVE THE DRIVERS YOU DOWNLOAD FOR YOUR LAPTOP TO THAT SECOND PARTITION ALSO!!! :-) The default extract folder is alwas on C:\ you will find it much more convinient when reinstalling kowing your drivers are close by. and you dont have to dig up the cds, or download everythign yet again.

Can even convieniently redirect the my docs folder to the second partion. Right click My docs, click move, browse for a folder on the scond partition...click move

next time you need to reinstall, due to configuration issues, viruses, "testing", and the like you just have to format the first partion and reinstall the OS. The second partion is not affected by the reinstall. all your files are safe.

This has proved very effective for me in the past with laptops that crash, since hooking up a second drive to reinstall so you can get the data off before formating is difficult with a laptop.

Just a little piece of advice on reinstalling. I also do this will all my desktops. Especially convinient if you install/re-install with images..

As we all know, reinstalling is the default answer to any question we dont want to discuss anymore. We should get our MCSE for knowing two blanket statements "Did you reset the computer" and "you must reinstall the OS...so sorry". This whole reinstall fad came after cloning so I blame symantec for desensitizing the industry to the horrors of a reinstall.
Part of the reason your particular problem (AND MINE) is so hard to diagnose is because KMODE can refer to so many different things. In your case the culprit is the videocard driver. So my quick answer, which is probably much more "cost effective" then reinstalling is buying a cheap vid card, disabling the onboard vid in bios, and then see if you can boot up. If you can we know its the vid card/driver. I also have a KMODE error after upgrading Win 2000. Mine ends with the WIN32K.sys which points to USB drivers. I derived most of this information from here.

http://www.mcse.ms/archive42-2004-10-1125261.html

Good Luck Peep!

NOOOOOooooooooo !
*falls on his knee's clutching his head and looks to the sky*
WHHHHHYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyy !!!!!!
*sobs frantically*

What I meant to say was, are you sure? Absolutely sure? There's stuff on that computer that I really really don't want to lose. Is there no other way of getting around this?

:-|

One sure way to get around this is to partition your hard drive into two sections. You can do this either before installing anything on it in the beginning, or using an aftermarket program afterwards.

I have a "C" drive for my operation system and most major programs. I then make the other half of the hard drive the "D" section. Its used for ALL of my data like documents, photos, bookmarks, emails and so on.

This way if I ever have an issue with the OS I can pop the CD in the drive and format "C" and reinstall the OS without losing ANY of my data. Yes, you still have to re-install the various programs but thats life. They only way you are going to lose the second partition (and thus your data) is if you have a total hard drive failure.

Before anyone asks, yes I do backup, but this is an easy way to avoid losing large amounts of personal data if you have to re-install the OS.

JA

As we all know, reinstalling is the default answer to any question we dont want to discuss anymore. We should get our MCSE for knowing two blanket statements "Did you reset the computer" and "you must reinstall the OS...so sorry". This whole reinstall fad came after cloning so I blame symantec for desensitizing the industry to the horrors of a reinstall.
Part of the reason your particular problem (AND MINE) is so hard to diagnose is because KMODE can refer to so many different things. In your case the culprit is the videocard driver. So my quick answer, which is probably much more "cost effective" then reinstalling is buying a cheap vid card, disabling the onboard vid in bios, and then see if you can boot up. If you can we know its the vid card/driver. I also have a KMODE error after upgrading Win 2000. Mine ends with the WIN32K.sys which points to USB drivers. I derived most of this information from here.

http://www.mcse.ms/archive42-2004-10-1125261.html

Good Luck Peep!

I had similar problems, and disabled usb in my bios. That was the problem. Now how do I fix it now that i know what is wrong with it??

go into control panel. pick display properties.go to troubleshoot then move acceleration down atleast one bar.should work.it worked for me.

Hi,

Due to my laptop having a strange COM port problem I decided to try and fix it by doing a 'repair' with my Windows 2000 Professional disk. When I put the disk in, it asked if I wanted to 'upgrade' and keep all my existing software or 'full install' and lose everything.

I chose upgrade and it spent some time gathering information, building drivers etc...

When it rebooted it came up with a Setup screen that said it was installing devices such as keyboard, mouse. (During this time your screen may flicker etc).

It gets about half way through and then I get a message saying:
"Digital Signature Not Found on Intel(R) 82815 Graphics Controller, Do you want to continue installation?"

It doesn't matter whether I press Yes or No at this point, it continues the installation for a short time and then flashes up the blue screen of death saying:
"STOP: 0x0000001E {0xC0000005,0X00000000,0X00000000,0X00000000}
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group."

More like contact Alcoholics Anonymous, this thing is driving me mad!

So far, I've tried booting into Safe Mode but no joy, it still brings up the 'setup' screen and tries to continue setting up.

I've tried booting from the CD and Repairing the installation again, but upon reboot it still tries to continue setting up.

I just want to turn off the setting up now and boot into the existing operating system.

I tried booting into Console Repair and managed to copy Boot.ini to Boot2.ini and then copy Boot.bak to Boot.ini in the hope that this would maybe bypass the setup screen, but still no joy.

I just want to get back into the computer now.. I don't care about the COM port problem any more...

Please please please help if you can.

A big thanks for any light you can shed on this.. I've tried to provide as much info as possible but if you need anymore just ask.

Cheers

JT

I am having a similar problem. Did you find a solution. If so what is it.

Greatly appreciate any help.

Regards

Peter

Don't you all know that you don't have to format a Harddrive to reinstall an Operating System??
If you chose to leave filesystem as is while installing then he will install Windows into an Windows.000(for XP but it does also work for 2000) folder on the same partition then the other Windows.
Not that it is a propper way to install an Operating System; but if you have no BartPE CD, no Backup and no possibility to put the Harddisk on another PC to backup all the important data, then it's a perfect solution to get access to all your Data. And after Backuping you can allways feel free to reformat an reinstall propperly...

first of all we should turn off fast startup. The next most important thing is updating your drivers and uninstalling cpu intensive programs. You should also clean up files to regain more space in windows 10.

If he hasn't figured it out yet, after TWELVE YEARS, then I think it's a lost cause...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.