When I insert the cd to install i automatically get this error..."Setup cannot run on this version of the Operating System. To Install windows please try booting from the install media." I try to restart my computer and it doesn't give me the normal boot screen that it normally does when you insert the OS. Can someone please help me? I normally can figure this stuff out...but not this time...

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Change the boot options in the BIOS (Boot from CD/DVD)

To do that, generally you tap the delete button on the keyboard as the pc is starting.

as suggested above, go to bios and change the boot sequence to boot from your cd/dvd...

just press delete or f1....

yeah, you have to edit the BIOS settings. boot your computer up, and where it says to press (DELETE or F1) before your operating system starts, do so. you should get a menu, most likely blue or Grey. go to where it says boot order, (it is under a different menu in each BIOS so search them all) and use the +/- keys to change the boot order so that CD-ROM is the first on the list

When you insert a Windows Vista 64-bit DVD within a 32-bit operating system, and setup is launched, the operation is unsuccessful, and you receive the following error message:

Setup cannot run on this version of the Operating System. To install Windows please try booting from the install media.

This behavior occurs because Windows operating system upgrades are supported only between matching operating system architectures. A 32-bit version of Windows XP does not recognize the 64-bit Windows Vista installer engine.

If you have a 32-bit version of Windows XP and want to install a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you must boot the computer from the 64-bit Windows Vista DVD and then perform a custom installation of Windows Vista. Back up data before you start the custom installation.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.