Hey everyone,

So, my question is as follows. I'm planning on building a new rig, & I'd like to put Vistax64 on it. However, I would also like to keep my old (XPx86) PATA HDD so I can have all my music, games, files, & such. My question is, what is my best option for accomplishing this task?

Should I install Vista on my new SATA HDD, plug in my PATA HDD to the system & expect to have access to everything?

Should I install Vista on my current XP PATA HDD, & just run that HDD as the master with the new SATA HDD as the slave?

Or, are there any other options for me, or is this even possible? Thanks in advance for all your help everyone.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

"Should I install Vista on my new SATA HDD, plug in my PATA HDD to the system & expect to have access to everything?"
In a word, yes. XP Programs won't work of course, and you need to be sure the Vista HD is set as the boot drive.
You'll probably need to take ownership of the XP files.

I would install vista on the SATA drive though, its supposed to be faster than PATA.

Wow, that simple huh? I guess I'm still used to trying to figure out upgrading from like the Windows 95 era. Thanks for all the help guys!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.