hi ive got a compaq presario 2500 and wanted more memory so i bought this(512mb pc2100 266mhz sodimm notebook memory)which the company said is corect for my pc although when i try to use the ram it wont even boot up ive tried all possible variations using two at same time one one etc but nothing any ideas?thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Try your old stick, then try the new one by itself, if this works try them both in different orders.

Or have you done this already?

Try your old stick, then try the new one by itself, if this works try them both in different orders.

Or have you done this already?

thanks,
yes ive tried all the combinations it only doesnt boot when the 512ram is in its strange,is there a program for example like a driver to activate ram someone told me there was but im not sure?

do you understand me?

Step 2: Choose which RAM module to buy.

The Compaq Presario 2500 uses PC-2100 type memory and usually ships from Compaq with 256MB of RAM. The Presario 2500 supports up to 1GB of RAM. Maximizing your system memory will allow your Presario to operate as fast as possible and offer the most productive environment.

RAM modules must be installed in special locations on the motherboard called Sockets. These memory sockets are what hold the RAM module in place and can range from 1 to 16 or more. Banks consist of a group of 1 or more sockets. A system can have 1 or more of these banks of sockets. If a system has more than 1 socket in a bank, a Kit must be purchased for that bank. A kit is simply more than one, usually 2 or 4, like RAM modules. All sockets in a bank must be filled, and for such systems we sell memory in a kit. Typically you will see 2x512MB or 2x256MB signifying you are purchasing 2 units of 512MB RAM modules or 2 units of 256MB RAM modules, respectively.

is your ram is single, so 1x512Mb or 2x512Mb,cause the manufturer's opinion is that use the ram paired

yes i understand you thanks i have two slots where the memory sticks go there was already 12? inside when i bought it and so i went and got a 512mb stick but it doesnt boot up with the new ram,im not a expert on pcs therefore have no idea,but does seem strange that its the ram every website ive tried have suggested to me doesnt work im lost ps thanks..

Can be B.I.O.S setting? I dunno......
What is your operating system?If you detach the new ram and put back the old one your machine is working?
What about Mhz of rams are they same?

Can be B.I.O.S setting? I dunno......
What is your operating system?If you detach the new ram and put back the old one your machine is working?
What about Mhz of rams are they same?

The same thing happens yes if i take out the new ram and leave the old one in it works ok and when both are in it boots up but the pc says theres only 192mb of ram in it.The os (microsft windows zp,home edition version 2002 service pack 3)thats what it says.the mhz of the 512mb stick is 266mhz and of the other one the 192mb i dont know sorry,bios is behond me mate havent got a clue how to overcome it but thanks...

I believe you can use something like CPUZ to check the memory frequencies.

it is possible that the 512 you bought is bad ,did you buy it new ,if so send it back .

it is possible that the 512 you bought is bad ,did you buy it new ,if so send it back .

I got it from ebay its from usa ive asked for my money back it was cheaper but the next time im goona buy it from the compaq dealer thats for comment royalmailman1

ebay ,enough said ,thought you bought it new from local dealer ,i buy lots of good stuff from ebay sellers ,but have bought some non-working ram a few time

ebay ,enough said ,thought you bought it new from local dealer ,i buy lots of good stuff from ebay sellers ,but have bought some non-working ram a few time

yeh the next time ill do just that mate cheers...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.