Hi,

When i shut down my pc it automatically turns itself back on.

I very little about the working of a pc so if anyone can help I would be most gratefull.

Thanks

Jimsters

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

How can it be possible?? :-O Are you sure its 'Shut Down' and not restarted?? If yes then there may be some kind of loose connection since there is no such setting that turns on a Pc by itself, see if you can get it fixed else the best solution is to wait a few seconds after you click on 'Shut Down' and cut off the power supply(using the switch :P) when the pc is shut...:?:

Edit : Or maybe you are trying to say that after you shut it down you turn off the power switch..
....and after you switch it on the pc doesn't wait for you to press the 'turn on' button and starts on itself???

From the Start Run, type "shutdown –s" and hit enter to shut down your PC.
you may try use system restore to get back to the date when you can shut down the PC without any problem.

Hope this helps!
Bill
tech manager

hi..

well with your problem its just the same of what happen in my pc that probably because of virus that will shutdown ur pc..

you need to back up or secure your important files so that when your pc will collapse or cannot go inside the windows atleast your files are with you.

-LheN-

> Is the PC really shutting down (powering off) and then restarting (a cold boot up) :?:
>> If this is the case then it might be defined somewhere in your computer's BIOS, but probably this is just a Windows problem :) ...

> Is the PC really shutting down (powering off) and then restarting (a cold boot up) :?:
>> If this is the case then it might be defined somewhere in your computer's BIOS, but probably this is just a Windows problem :) ...

Yep, thats exactly what it does. I shut down in the normal way then maybe 20-30 seconds after shut down it boots up again!

Any help would be good.

Thanks

Jimsters

Have you tried reset the BIOs to default and/or back up data and reinstall the OS?

Hope this helps!
Bill

Have you tried reset the BIOs to default and/or back up data and reinstall the OS?

Hope this helps!
Bill

If it's a BIOS related problem, reinstalling the OS won't help much, otherwise if it isn't BIOS-related then it might solve the problem (in a drastic way)

Maybe you have an electrical(if it's electrical your motherboard is gone) or mechanical problem(move your components to other box). Good luck!

A power supply is tasked with providing electricity to every component in a computer, so a faulty or under performing unit will often cause a wide range of symptoms, including, but not limited to:

* Failure to power on.
* General instability.
* Rebooting, either randomly or when the computer is stressed.
* Hardware failure, due to sudden power spikes/dips or long term electronic noise.
* Inability to boot up even though motherboard light is lit. At power on, there is no activity at all except for fans and disks starting to spin.

Power supplies can also fail when the electrolytic capacitors inside dry up and/or become defective. This can be a common reason of power supply failure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.