very very critical

I had downloaded several pdf files from a website but whenever i try to open them i get the following message...

"the files are damaged and cannot be repaired"

but other friends of mine are able to open the same after downloading from the same website...

plz help.........

I am using windows xp home edition...and adobe reader 7 and internet explorer 6

regards,

sunandoghosh at rediffmail dot com

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What's happening is the embedded reader is requesting portions of the file, rather than downloading the whole thing. I believe a possible cause was some type of firewall, but not sure..

ooops, sorry..Looks like you downloaded the file before opening it. Do you by any chance have dial up internet? I know the problem arised with me when I had dial up. It could be just one byte of a whole 5 mb that is rendering it unreadable, but I think there is tools out there to fill the gaps.

By the way, you can post a link, I'll download them and send them to your email if you like.

" I believe a possible cause was some type of firewall, but not sure.."

i even unistalled all firewalls for this purpose...even disabled inbuilt xp firewall...still not helping?????????

"..Looks like you downloaded the file before opening it."

yes bcz its on rapidshare (send by my friend to few friends including me)....???????

"I know the problem arised with me when I had dial up."

i am 256 k (small) b ps connection but actaul speed is 128 kbps roughly....

"It could be just one byte of a whole 5 mb that is rendering it unreadable, but I think there is tools out there to fill the gaps."

where to get it???????

plz help as really getting frustrated..........

regards,

(thanks for ur time in replying me)

p.s. "By the way, you can post a link, I'll download them and send them to your email if you like."

thanks for this option but buddy plz do not take it offence, just a humble request; there r so so many of them and its something between our groups of friends....so would be a bit hesitant (plz again do not take it wrong)...

You can check out this site. It says something about sending them in for repair. Right now I can't find the site I was looking for, but I'll keep looking.

http://www.e-tech.ca/016p-PDFErrorCodes.asp

Most file transfer programs do for some reason damage these files, but you could ask your friends to zip the files before sending. That usually solves it, but its a boring process.

By the way, I didn't take any offense to that. I completely undestand.

Please send us your damaged/corrupted file for a FREE No-Obligation Evaluation by our qualified engineers by clicking here or sending us an email at etech@etechrecovery.com. This is not a free service.[/QUOTE]

its not a free service??????????

I thank u for ur understanding and continued supoort...its truly appreciated....

warm regards,

p.s. I AM LOST cant open a pdf life is mess :sad:

very very critical

I had downloaded several pdf files from a website but whenever i try to open them i get the following message...

"the files are damaged and cannot be repaired"

but other friends of mine are able to open the same after downloading from the same website...

plz help.........

I am using windows xp home edition...and adobe reader 7 and internet explorer 6

regards,

sunandoghosh at rediffmail dot com

Hi,

I think the pdf files are corrupt or something, maybe you need to recover them. There is a tool called Advanced PDF Repair . I have used it to repair many corrupt PDF files successfully. You can have a try.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Do you use a download accelerator? There are a few that split a file into a few parts, this problem could have occured if one part did not download completely. If you do use a download accelerator then try disabling it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.