Member Avatar for kvirl

Hi, I initially had a windupdate issue that has since resolved. However, now, though I can get online, I cannot access usually more than the first page of a website, if I am even that lucky. Ex. I can get to Google, my homepage, and I can search, but if I try to access a webpage from the search list, that's it and I get the "cannot find page" error.

Additionally, I pinged with this "Bad" computer and then with a "Good" computer, and the bad computer took about 70ms to ping, while the good computer took about 17ms.

I thought I had a windsock issue, but then I checked the two computers, which both run Windows ME, using MSINFO32 and saw that they have the same winsock info. I then checked out the IE section and noticed that the "bad" computer indicated = "Problem devices = TCP/IP network\mstcp\0002 Error Code 22" I dont' know what this is, but it looks bad.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be very greatly appreciated. I wouldn't mind switching browsers, but since I can't access anything online, I can't even do that!

Thanks,
kvirl

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Your TCP/IP software may have gotten corrupted. Remove and reinstall the software following the instructions in this Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q302861/

Member Avatar for kvirl

Your TCP/IP software may have gotten corrupted. Remove and reinstall the software following the instructions in this Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q302861/

I do not have the original disks that came with this computer. I'm wondering if it would just be wiser to upgrade to Windows XP instead. If so, can I just upgrade the system (99$) or do I have to buy the total/complete system (199$) in order to override whatever is wrong with this computer?

Thanks so much!
kristin

Upgrading a corrupted installation of Windows to a newer version really isn't advised. The current problems that your system has can be carried over (and even magnified) in the course of the upgrade.

Additionally, with Windows 98/95/ME it's ideally better do buy a full Version of XP and install from scratch rather than doing an upgrade.

Member Avatar for kvirl

Upgrading a corrupted installation of Windows to a newer version really isn't advised. The current problems that your system has can be carried over (and even magnified) in the course of the upgrade.

Additionally, with Windows 98/95/ME it's ideally better do buy a full Version of XP and install from scratch rather than doing an upgrade.

I had a feeling this was the response I was going to get! Thanks, will try to fix manually.

I had a feeling this was the response I was going to get!...

Sorry, I know it's a bummer, but that's the real deal. I'm not going give someone a piece of "Band-Aid" advice for a problem that really requires surgery. :mrgreen:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.