Is there a way to set permissions for file sharing in XP to only allow certain users on other specified computers to be able to access a shared folder? For example I have two computers, one named PC1 and one named PC2. Both are on the same workgroup and each have a user account named "John Smith" but I ONLY want John Smith from PC1 to be able to access my shared folder. Is there a way I can do this?

option 1:

Change the password for the user account you do not want to be able to access the share. As long as the share is not set to allow EVERYONE, that user's authentication will fail against any shares on the hosting PC.

option 2:

Have a different user name on each PC and setup the share permissions for each computer.

I don't believe you can restrict access to a share using a computer account, especially in a work group environment such as a peer to peer home network.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.