Problems resetting the /safeboot option in the BOOT.INI when the computer decided to never go into safe mode. I have tried reinstalling windows but no luck. Any other ideas on how I might be able to reset that option to off? PLS HELP!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

If you're using XP, click on the "Run.." option in your Start and in the resulting "Open:" box, type the following and then hit Enter:

msconfig

This will open the System Configuration Utility. In the General tab of the utility, make sure the "Normal Startup" option is checked; in the Boot.ini tab, make sure the "Safeboot" option is unchecked.

Another method would be to open boot.ini in Notepad and manually edit out the /safeboot option.

Problems resetting the /safeboot option in the BOOT.INI when the computer decided to never go into safe mode. I have tried reinstalling windows but no luck. Any other ideas on how I might be able to reset that option to off? PLS HELP!!!!

Did you format and reinstall Windows or do a 'Repair'? A problem like this shouldn't have carried over if you formatted and reinstalled.

Did you format and reinstall Windows or do a 'Repair'? A problem like this shouldn't have carried over if you formatted and reinstalled.

Well, I ended up formating and the problem is fixed. I was trying to get around formating but it was probably for the best. I guess the lesson I learned is to not use the /safeboot in the BOOT.INI unless you have already tried the other ways to get to safe mode. Because if the computer never makes it to safe mode and that option is on, you are screwed.

I HAVE THIS BLACK SCREEN ON MY PC ANF SAFE MODE IS WRITTEN ON THE FOUR CORNERS AND IN THE MIDDLE TOP, MICROSOFT (R) WINDOWS (R) something something IS WRITTEN WHAT DO I DO?
I am not very good with all this

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.