Hi.

One of our customers made silly things with his computer but I can't find a way to recover it.
Maybe one of you has already run into the same problem.
Here it is:

The system installed and runnin was Windows 2000 Pro SP4.

He did some "cleaning", then had problems and tried to reinstall it with his original Windows 2000 Pro Upgrade (no SP) cd.

Now, after the first reboot, the system shows an svchost.exe error and the installation hangs up at the "hardware detection screen".

Or, if I restart the computer in safe mode, the installation goes further but starts generating errors message as follow:

iccomplusore.cpp (line 274)
error code = 0x80040206
COM+ event classes could not be registered

Install continues but at the "registering components" (so close to the finish line...) I receive an error message which is:

c:\winnt\system32\inetcomm.dll cannot be registered

Then, system hangs up.

To be clear:

- I've removed the hd and scanned it for virus on another PC with an up-to-date NAV: no virus. I even downloaded the blaster removal tool and scanned the hd: nothing found.

- I've installed a parallel fresh copy of Windows 2000 on that computer: it works fine. (The reason why I don't use that one is that the customer doesn't want to loose his work domain access configuration.

So guys, any idea?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi there

As you may well know the svchost.exe file is one of three very important files that is used by any windows system, the customer has obviously removed this file while doing the cleaning process. I know that i have mentioned this on other posts however the only solution maybe to start fron fresh i am sorry to say, The other alternative is that if you can use another hard disk with Windows 2k working on the same machine then transfer svchost.exe file into the operating system build files and that may allow the other pieces of the system to recognise the hardware
Hope that i was of some help

Hi there

As you may well know the svchost.exe file is one of three very important files that is used by any windows system, the customer has obviously removed this file while doing the cleaning process.

Thank you for your reply.

However, the original file is still there (otherwise it wouldn't be generating errors, but simply would be reported as missing) and has the correct size compared to the one in the fresh installation.
I'm afraid the problem isn't there...
But thanks for your help anyway...

just a shot in the dark ,giving that inetcomm.dll is email releated and the svchost is generic and is used by modems .,maybe if you remove the modem or network card if it has one ,then uninstall the software releated to it and reboot and reinstall modem !! like i said a shot in MY dark .good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.