hey , when starting winxp i recieve a missing file message <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. can anyone pls help me with this problem . thankyou

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

This problem most often occurs when you try to set up two operating systems on the same computer and it causes errors in your boot.ini file. Are you trying to use two operating systems?

Does your computer start normally, or does it just stop at the point where it indicates the missing file?

If your computer just has XP, it is probably due to an error during installation. You can use the following instructions in the recovery console (accessed through your XP CD) to rebuild your boot.ini file. If that doesn't work, I would try a fresh install of XP.

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

The more details you can give, the more likely it is that someone will find a solution for you.

hey , when starting winxp i recieve a missing file message <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. can anyone pls help me with this problem . thankyou

Hi, you can try windows repair option for that you need to have bootable operating system cd
boot your computor from cd rom and try to repair the os but remember repairing options comes two time in this method so when you will get first time option then go for install os. dont go for repair (dont type 'R') just say enter after that it will again ask you for repair type 'R' now go for it and follow the instruction given at bottom of screen

Hi

HAL.DLL is the Hardware Application Layer Direct Library Link file without it your hardware and the OS cant talk to each other. Use Jenix response above to fix the problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.