When we add printers on our clients PC's we use Find Printers and then search by Location. Our print server is Win 2000 and the clients are in XP Pro. For the last month when we attempt our search, the printers no longer appear. We can browse to the printers and add but we can no longer search for the printers. Has anyone else been having problems with this issue?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Can't you just browse to them in network neighborhood, right click on them and select "connect"? If they are shared on the network, this is the easiest way to do it. Maybe the users are not logging onto the domain. Reboot the server. I have seen this help when users can't connect reliably to NT and 2000 servers.

I should mention that we are in a Active Directory. When adding a printer, we should be able to search for a printer at the clients workstation. This is what we have been doing since we have been in AD until a few months ago. The only changes that were made on the print server has been added patch/fix; I am starting to investigate if there are any issues.

The only changes that were made on the print server has been added patch/fix;

What about the clients? Have you updated to SP2? Maybe the firewall is blocking the ports used by LDAP.

The network administrator manages the firewall. The admin is out for the rest of the week. We will get together to discuss the firewall configure.

Thanks for the input!

We are starting to roll-out to SP2. But only a few have this SP. The firewall should not interfer with our printers since the print server is behind the firewall. The printers that are already installed on the Client's pc do show. When we try to add a printer by Searching by location; the printer that we want to install from the print server are not shown. We can type the path or browse to the printers, but we can no longer Search by Location. This started just a few months ago. The only changes that were made on the print server was Windows Updates.

Thanks for the input.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.