I have Win XP Pro on a new Dell. How do I further partition the 80 gig hard drive?

I have a 98SE computer with a 4 gig drive I would like to backup to part of this newer machine's hard drive. Can/should I format a partition in fat32 for this?

Any hints or comments on such a backup scheme welcome;)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If you have already used all the drive space for existing partitions, then you will need commercial software such as 'Partition Manager' or the like to do the job. Windows XP cannot resize partitions, it can only delete them or create new ones in 'Unallocated space'.

If you do, however, have unallocated space on your hard drive, then go:

Control Panel
Performance and Maintenance
Administrative Tools
Computer Management
Disk Management

You'll see the unallocated space there and be able to create a partition in it, and then format it for use. If it's for the backup of a Windows 98 system, (via networking of course) then yes, you should create it as a FAT32 partition. Whatever software you are using to create a drive image of the Windows 98 system needs to be able to store and retrieve the image via Local Network.

I would suggest you use PartitionMagic or anything of the likes. It can resize/create/remove partitions without deleting your files.

I would suggest you use PartitionMagic or anything of the likes. It can resize/create/remove partitions without deleting your files.

Even though, always make a backup. Space is cheap, there's no excuse not to back up your data files. (About $10 for 50 CD-R discs... That's 35,000 MB)

THANK YOU for the responses, three good ones so far!

The drive came out of the box with one partition filling the whole drive.

I'll look into the partition software.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.