Hi,

I am running Windows Vista. Sometimes my browsers will abruptly stop displaying webpages. The error on Mozilla says- Unable to Connect, on Safari - Winsock Error 10013

I am able to ping, my DNS servers are working (so its not a connectivity problem- other computers on the same network are able to access the internet), and the hosts file is in order. When I reboot, all works well for sometime before this problem strikes again.

The error reported by Safari seemed to suggest a WinSock problem. So I even re-installed TCP/IP by cleaning up the registry entries for WinSock and Winsock2 and putting in fresh copies. The problem still persists.

I used a port scanner program to see what apps are running on them, and several report- "An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions".

My checks with ESET A/V and Spybot suggest that the system is clean.

How can I troubleshoot?

Thanks for your help, this problem is really irritating me.

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by tuse

Look, Vista does have a connection repair wizard, which may give you some more in-depth error reporting. I'd also be inclided to check that you have the latest drivers, as that issue gave me a few headaches of my own when first moved to Vista.

More likely though, if you are getting reports of forbidden access, you could look in two directions:

Get hold of a decent firewall, and take note of incoming and outgoing activity, especially around the time of a disconnection event.

Also, are you running any applications on your system that is not on any of the other systems?? Had a little dig into the error and it seems that certain applications were either not updated to properly work with the newer Winsock /2 builds introduced in Vista, or require available patches. Access conflicts can also cause the lock-up.

Really, without more info, there are just too many possibilities to give you more specific guidance

Also, are you running any applications on your system that is not on any of the other systems?? Had a little dig into the error and it seems that certain applications were either not updated to properly work with the newer Winsock /2 builds introduced in Vista, or require available patches. Access conflicts can also cause the lock-up.

Really, without more info, there are just too many possibilities to give you more specific guidance

This is quite possible. How should I troubleshoot this?

What other info should I supply?

Thanks for help, and sorry for the delayed response

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.