Can someone help with the removal of this? I have read and read and I can not figure it out and I need to get rid of it.

Thanks
Scott

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Download the update from here if you have problems.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

Make sure that you restart the computer.

Perfect, I just did this before I left work so I will post the log in the morning.

Is it OK to run this in safe mode? I am getting too much interference with the virus running it in normal mode.

Much appreciated

FYI : Aliases of your Alleged infector :

* Hacktool.Rootkit (Symantec)

* TROJ_MADTOL.A (Trend)

* Trojan.Win32.Madtol.a (Kaspersky)

* Win32.Afrootix (CA Vet)

Safe mode is normally not recommended for running virus-scans....
I'd prefer you run a MBAM full system scan as said by Caperjack in Normal mode(with MBAM fully updated)....But before that Disable System restore :

To turn off Windows XP System Restore:

NOTE: These instructions assume that you are using the default Windows XP Start Menu and have not changed to the Classic Start menu. To re-enable the default menu, right-click Start, click Properties, click Start menu (not Classic) and then click OK.

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Check "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives" as shown in this illustration:
5. Click Apply.
6. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this.
7. Click OK.

Now Run The Following Scans :
MBAM (Reboot immediately After Completion)

ESET Online Scanner (Reboot After Scan)

Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (Reboot Immediately after completion)

Then Download

Trend Micro HijackThis 2.0.2
Install it and click on 'Run a scan and save the logfile'.

Provide the logfile of MBAM, ESET and Hijackthis Here..

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 2061
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

4/30/2009 8:09:32 AM
mbam-log-2009-04-30 (08-09-32).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 232890
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 0 minute(s), 41 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\APTemp\APQ14.tmp (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\mikekafka\Local Settings\Temp\BN13.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

THis is the 2nd time I arn this and the second time I have had to remove these files.

Any ideas?

I also keep getting the window that pops up that says symantec auto protect found Hacktool.rootkit and it deleted it but reboot needed. Everytime I turn the computer on I get the same thing. Its a vicious cycle.

For some reason I can't run ESET. It says my security settings wont let it download. Not sure why because it is at the lowest setting.

Everytime I reboot I get a symantec auto protect window that says it found hacktool.rootkit and that I need to reboot. everytime I reboot it just finds it again somewhere else. I ran malewarebytes and got different results each time. It says it is removing the bad files but each time I erboot I get the same 2 things in the auto protect window.

Here is the HJT log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:00:42 AM, on 4/30/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 SP3 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\mainserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hasplms.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBCFMonitorService.exe
C:\Program Files\SolidWorks2007\COSMOSFloWorks\FloWorks\binCFW\StandAloneSlv.exe
C:\Program Files\SolidWorks2007\COSMOSFloWorks\FloWorks\binCFW\StandAloneSlv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\RealVNC\VNC4\WinVNC4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\PDF Complete\pdfsty.exe
C:\Program Files\PDF Complete\pdfsaver.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\SolidWorks Installation Manager\Scheduler\sldIMScheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe
C:\Program Files\SolidWorks2007\swScheduler\swBOEngine.exe
C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\apcsystray.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\MIKEKA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\SolidWorksLicTemp.0001
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\SolidWorks Shared\Service\SolidWorksLicensing.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\mikekafka\mikekafka.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/su/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sb/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com/ext/search/search.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sp/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDF Complete] "C:\Program Files\PDF Complete\pdfsty.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetRefresh] C:\Program Files\Compaq\SetRefresh\SetRefresh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] %SystemRoot%\system32\mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SolidWorks_CheckForUpdates] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\SolidWorks Installation Manager\Scheduler\sldIMScheduler.exe" /scheduler
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Intuit SyncManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Sync\IntuitSyncManager.exe startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [mikekafka] C:\Documents and Settings\mikekafka\mikekafka.exe /i
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-2217503409-2096172620-1366611248-1009\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background (User 'QBDataServiceUser19')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: SolidWorks Task Scheduler Engine.lnk = C:\Program Files\SolidWorks2007\swScheduler\swBOEngine.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: APC UPS Status.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Windows Desktop Search.lnk = C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1123157964234
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1147885305179
O16 - DPF: {AB6633A8-60A9-4F5D-B66C-ABE268CC3227} (SolidWorks Installation Manager Contol) - http://www.solidworks.com/pages/services/subscription/downloads/sldimdownload.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = Kafka.local
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = Kafka.local
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = Kafka.local
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = Kafka.local
O18 - Protocol: intu-help-qb2 - {84D77A00-41B5-4B8B-8ADF-86486D72E749} - C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2005\HelpAsyncPluggableProtocol.dll
O18 - Protocol: qbwc - {FC598A64-626C-4447-85B8-53150405FD57} - mscoree.dll (file missing)
O18 - Filter hijack: text/html - {7a6ddce4-509a-4b83-bcd8-d5b61306d2b2} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mst123.dll
O23 - Service: APC UPS Service - American Power Conversion Corporation - C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\mainserv.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: HASP License Manager (hasplms) - Aladdin Knowledge Systems Ltd. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hasplms.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: QBCFMonitorService - Intuit - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBCFMonitorService.exe
O23 - Service: Intuit QuickBooks FCS (QBFCService) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\FCS\Intuit.QuickBooks.FCS.exe
O23 - Service: QuickBooksDB19 - Intuit, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\Intuit\QUICKB~1\QBDBMgrN.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Solver for COSMOSFloWorks 2007 - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SolidWorks2007\COSMOSFloWorks\FloWorks\binCFW\StandAloneSlv.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Solver for COSMOSFloWorks 2008 - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SolidWorks2007\COSMOSFloWorks\FloWorks\binCFW\StandAloneSlv.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SolidWorks Licensing Service - SolidWorks - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SolidWorks Shared\Service\SolidWorksLicensing.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: VNC Server Version 4 (WinVNC4) - RealVNC Ltd. - C:\Program Files\RealVNC\VNC4\WinVNC4.exe

--
End of file - 11114 bytes

Presuming System Restore is turned Off, delete the following file (Open HJT/Open The Misc Tools Section/Delete a file on Reboot)....

C:\Documents and Settings\mikekafka\mikekafka.exe

Now Reboot, Run a HJT scan and place a check mark on the following and click 'fix checked'...

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [mikekafka] C:\Documents and Settings\mikekafka\mikekafka.exe /i

O18 - Filter hijack: text/html - {7a6ddce4-509a-4b83-bcd8-d5b61306d2b2} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mst123.dll

Did you run the scan by Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool?? What result did it yield??

Now Do the Following :

Download CCleaner 2.18.878, install it, under 'Cleaner' (windows and applications TAb) select all and click on 'Analyze' and then 'Run Cleaner'...
Now Under 'Registry' select all and click on 'Scan For Issues' And then 'Fix Selected Issues'...Now Reboot the computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.