My PC now has winXP Pro. If I also wanted to have win98 installed for whatever reason, would that work? How would I install win98 separate from XP? Then how do I use one op sys at a time>? Is this an unusual situation? Am I being unreasonable?
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

My PC now has winXP Pro. If I also wanted to have win98 installed for whatever reason, would that work? How would I install win98 separate from XP? Then how do I use one op sys at a time>? Is this an unusual situation? Am I being unreasonable?
Thanks

not unusual at at all ,you could have 20 if you wish! first thing is you have[use to with 98 and xp not so with vista] to install oldest version first ,so in you case you would load 98 on one partition then xp on another .and use a bootmanager software to pick what one to boot to.

this link is for vista and XP with Vista install all ready
.http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm

this one is xp and other windows versions
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306559

my situation is I have XP now installed and would want to
install 98. Is there a software pkg that helps to do that.?
those links didnt address my situation. actually it does only in reverse.
It all looks very complicated to a not so computer literate type haveing to get into DOS and reformating and all. I think I should just forget it.
thanks.

Hi,
Either way you would have to start over with your comp. You would have to essentially wipe the hard drive and reformat it to create more then one partition. Windows would walk you through it when you go through the instillation process.

Hi there!

If you'd like to install win98 so you can boot it up to, without reformatting, I'd recommend a partitioning program to make a new one from the free space you have. You can download those from net, simply google up partition manager xp. Winxp also has a built in one, but i think you can only create new partitions from unpartitioned space there.
Or go the other way and get virtualisation software like Virtual PC, that way you can start win98 in a window after your xp booted up.

commented: good info +1

OK, Ill check into those options.
Thanks again for the help.

OK, Ill check into those options.
Thanks again for the help.

YW anytime :)
Send me a private message if you need any help setting up stuff.

just as you thought you had all the help you can handle....
you can leave your xp instalation , add a new hd to your pc , change the boot order of your hd's in the bios setup , install 98 fresh , reset the bios settings to boot from the xp hd, edit your boot.ini file to have the option to boot to either xp and 98
barry

commented: good info +1

thanks utok and barry and others. found lotta partitioning and backup sources with google. some of what you've said sounds doable but not yet sure if I want to go there. the silly reason for all this is I had an IBM flatbed scanner(win98) on a previous PC. got a new delldimension 4700 XP pro. Used PCmover to move old pc stuff to new dell. But scanner didnt run and couldnt install the driver disc, not recognized by XP pro as it was only for 98,nt,95. IBM no make more scanners/drivers and only good for 98. frustrated so ordered new scanner then thought about all of the above questions and now not sure its all worth it for just one device. new scanner coming for XP pro so all will be well. IBM scanner to ecycle or GW or maybe sell on CL.
PS: found all the XP disc mgmt stuff. Thanks for all.
PPS: I do have a usb 8G san disc so maybe could use it for 98 stuff if I decide to go there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.