I have a client, who received a pc from one of their children. It runs on XP Pro service pack 3. All of a sudden, they have no internet connection. I could see that their router is connected to the internet.

I went out to their house, because I suspected an IP issue, as when I asked them to do an ipconfig, it came out blank, with no ip number, gateway, nothing.

On their pc, I opened Network connections, and there were no LAN icon, nothing, in the folder. I tried to set-up a new connection, following the wizzard, and when I click on finish at the end, the new connection I was trying to set-up also does not display in the Network Connections.

Ipconfig also shows no results.

The network card installed, the light is on.

This pc was working fine on internet previously.

What am I missing? Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

hello
what does your network adapter say in divice manager
barry

Have you tried to re install the NIC driver or an updated one? Also have you checked the event log for any network related errors?

Sorry, I was a bit off line myself and can only read here now.
I asked the client to get their windows xp cd, (they still searching for it, he he....) as it seems that there is a conflict in device manager with an unknown device. As soon as they can produce their cd, I will do a repair install and see what happens, and post back here. The thing is, as there is no network connection icon to fine tune, I cannot connect their pc to the internet to try to update the "unknown device driver"

Sorry, I was a bit off line myself and can only read here now.
I asked the client to get their windows xp cd, (they still searching for it, he he....) as it seems that there is a conflict in device manager with an unknown device. As soon as they can produce their cd, I will do a repair install and see what happens, and post back here. The thing is, as there is no network connection icon to fine tune, I cannot connect their pc to the internet to try to update the "unknown device driver"

Wow. It's too bad they don't make a device that allows you to transfer files from one (Connected) computer to one that's not. If they did, you could download the needed driver to this device, then transfer it to the unconnected computer.:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.