I have a dell inspiron 600m laptop and I have recently formatted it and come across a strange problem and I am hoping someone can help me.
I recently formatted this pc to remove linux and install Win XP pro. After installation I went to Dell website to dl the standard drivers, chipset, network, video, etc. After dl'ing and installing the drivers I still am showing a network controller error in device manager. Since the wired network card works fine and the modem is fine I am assuming that this error is wireless related. I dl'ed every wireless driver I could find relating to my service tag # and none worked. I called them and they gave me a one week runaround which ended when they wanted 50$ to tell me where the driver was or what type of wireless card I had. So I am searching for help.

Can anyone help me find this driver or can someone tell me how I can find out what type of wireless card I have so I can try to find the driver elsewhere.

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I don't have the information in front of me, but it is also the same as D600. Usually they are Broadcom.

Right-click on the "My Computer" icon and select Properties. On the System Properties window, select the "Hardware" tab and click the Device Manager button. Scroll down to the "Network Adapters" and expand (click the plus sign), this will show you which network adapters are installed. Right click each and select "Properties", which will show you the type and name of the card installed. Here you can also uninstall a device and upon restart, your system will try to install the proper device driver. If this doesn't work; insert the xp disk while the computer is already on and select "Install Additional" from the XP Menu; in there you should find network files needed.

If you can get a copy of Everest from Lavalys you can find out exactly what hardware you have then d/load drivers accordingly.
There is a free home edition...you could try that but it is a bit old. Here is the link http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html . Just ran it on my system and worked a treat.

Hope this helps

Dave

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.