Hi all, I have a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5938 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed. I want to make a dual-boot with Windows XP SP1.

I try to follow the instructions of installation using the help of Nlite like: Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation using AMD SATA Driver from game.amd.com but then the XP installation couldn't recognize my hard drive. And when I continue (ignoring the undetectable hard drive) it says that the ahcix64.sys is corrupted.

Does anyone know where to find the working driver (and the right way to install windows xp on my laptop --if I was wrong)?

One more thing, di I have to install it using a 64-bit version of Windows XP?

FYI, here's my laptop's hardware specs:

[B]Processor*[/B]
AMD Turion™ X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-80
[B]Operating System*[/B]
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (SP1, 64-bit)
[B]Memory Size*[/B]
4GB
[B]Memory Speed*[/B]
PC6400 DDR2 800MHz SDRAM
[B]Display Size*[/B]
15.4" widescreen
[B]Display Type*[/B]
WXGA with TruBrite® Technology
[B]Display Resolution*[/B]
1280x800, Supports 720p content
[B]Graphics Engine*[/B]
ATI® Radeon™ 3100
[B]Graphics Memory*[/B]
256MB-1406MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
[B]Hard Drive Size*[/B]
320GB
[B]Hard Drive Speed*[/B]
5400rpm
[B]Secondary Hard Drive Size*[/B]
None Available
[B]Optical Drives*[/B]
DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer) supporting up to 11 fomats
[B]Wireless LAN*[/B]
Atheros® Wireless LAN (802.11b/g)
[B]Bluetooth[/B]
No Bluetooth (No Antenna)
[B]Webcam[/B]
Webcam and microphone built into LCD bezel
[B]Inputs and Controls[/B]
TouchPad™ pointing device, 86 key US keyboard
[B]Modem[/B]
Modem
[B]LAN[/B]
10/100 Ethernet LAN
[B]Audio[/B]
Standard stereo speakers, Headphone jack (stereo), Microphone jack (mono)
[B]AC Adapter[/B]
90W (19V x 4.74A) 100-240V AC Adapter
[B]Battery[/B]
Li-Ion (4000mAh, 6-Cell)
[B]PC Express Slot[/B]
1-ExpressCard™ Slot
[B]Media Card Reader[/B]
4-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter
[B]USB Ports*[/B]
3-USB (2.0)

Any help would be really appreciated. :)

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

You will have to slipstream the SP3 and SATA drivers to Setup CD. That's the only way you could install XP on your laptop.

.. that is, if you manage to find XP drivers for your laptop.

Here's potential site where you could find something.

You will have to slipstream the SP3 and SATA drivers to Setup CD. That's the only way you could install XP on your laptop.

.. that is, if you manage to find XP drivers for your laptop.

Here's potential site where you could find something.

Hi Chaky, thanks for the reply. I'll try that and the link. But is it true that I can continue without a 64-bit Windows XP?

Yes, providing you have 32-bit drivers.

You can go to the toshiba uk site and find the drivers. But you have to find what the model number is for your laptop in the uk. Just google it and you should find out without any problems. I install xp on toshiba laptops all the time. I usually just change the communication to the hard drive and install.
http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp

There are no XP drivers for this model.

You can go to the toshiba uk site and find the drivers. But you have to find what the model number is for your laptop in the uk. Just google it and you should find out without any problems. I install xp on toshiba laptops all the time. I usually just change the communication to the hard drive and install.
http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp

Hi X-Matt, thanks for the link. I was a bit confuse about what Short Model Number that match the L305D-S5938 model. But someone (sorry, I forgot where I found the link) suggest to use the PSLC8E Short Model Number. The search resulted about 32 Windows XP drivers. Well, I haven't tested it yet, I'm still trying to Install the XP first using nlite (and had been failed for about 3 times, having undetected hard drive).

I found a link (in Indonesian) though, that suggest to change the hard drive mode from ASCI to IDE. But again, I haven't tested it yet, because I'm still at the office. But if someone have the experience with that method, please share. :)

Oh, X-Matt, I wonder, how did you successfully installed Windows XP on your Toshiba laptop? Would you share it here? Please? Or maybe provide a link? :)

Sorry for the delayed response. My wife bought a toshiba laptop, and for work reasons, the applications she uses don't work on windows Vista. So I had to load XP. I google'd until I found the uk numbers that represented my US laptop. There I found all the drivers for windows xp. Also, While loading windows xp, you are correct, you have to go into the bios and change it to IDE or windows won't find the hard drive.

Your model in the uk is L series, L300D, PSLC8E, WINDOWS XP 32 BIT OR 64 BIT whichever you are installing. As far as the hard drive, you can also install the sata drivers using F6 during the xp install, or change the bios to read the hd differently. Thats all I have. Good luck.

For f6 drivers you would need floppy drive. I doubt that your laptop has one.

Unless you have IDE drive, the only way is to slipstream the drivers. I suggest that you use nLite for slipstreaming.

Your model in the uk is L series, L300D, PSLC8E, WINDOWS XP 32 BIT OR 64 BIT whichever you are installing. As far as the hard drive, you can also install the sata drivers using F6 during the xp install, or change the bios to read the hd differently. Thats all I have. Good luck.

I've changed the BIOS to "compatible" (I guess) mode, but it still didn't recognize my hard drive, any clue?

For f6 drivers you would need floppy drive. I doubt that your laptop has one.

Unless you have IDE drive, the only way is to slipstream the drivers. I suggest that you use nLite for slipstreaming.

As a matter of fact I use NLite for the installation.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.