This is a new one, i don't know if you allready treated something like this, but i want to find a future and better solution. Ok, this is it.
I have this windows xp machine at work (P4 3 Ghz, 512MB RAM, 80Gb HDD, VideoOnBoard), friday at 12:00 i try to reboot it after i uninstalled the AVG7.0 free antivirus after that i can't boot in normal mode only safe mode, in msconfig i used selective startup and disabled all nonmicrosoft services and all startup programs, but is doing the same thing. I try removing the motherboard drivers and still nothing. After a few tryouts i decide to fresh install xp. now its working but i need to find a solution that lets me keep my settings and my software. thankyou in advanced for your help.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Have you gotten the new install to format the drive or have you forced it to overwrite the previous install?

The new install i have made it after i formated the drive.

In that case, there is absolutely no way to get your programs and settings back.

Your settings are lost for good. You programs can be re-installed from disk or the net depending on where they came from.

Ok i understand. I need to know what are causes for this strange behavior.

When you uninstalled avg did you use an uninstaller? Was your machine working correctly before the uninstall? Any other problems? How old is your machine/ years in use?

When I have problems after a standard procedure with an xp boot, i tend to look at the hard drive health. Run scandisk to check for bad sectors. If you find one soon there will be many more. It would be time to get another hdd, and do a disk clone to save the info from the original disk. Had you not already formatted...

When you uninstalled avg did you use an uninstaller? Was your machine working correctly before the uninstall? Any other problems? How old is your machine/ years in use?

When i uninstall avg i used the uninstaller, after that i use ccleaner to clean all the remains. The only problem with these pc whas that sometimes it took about 10 minutes to start, but was random. It working about 3 years with no upgrades. Initially I thought the problems where with the ram module or the hdd, but i don't understand why its starts in safe mode, and when i use selective startup (i eliminate all the programs and nonmicrosoft services, and the drivers) its rebooting. Thankyou.

Does no-one read anymore?? This is a Tip's and Tricks board, not a place to submit pleas for help and assistance.

Sorry for my mistake.

This happens at times ! Might be that some files were not copied properly and thats why that occurred !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.