Hi, I'm new here.

My computer isn't starting up properly at all. I have Windows XP. I think the problem is regarding either the Video Card or Windows.

Each time I start up the computer, pressing the power button. It loads up normally, but after 8 seconds or so the screen turns black but its still on.

I can get into the start setup and the advance setup options but it does exactly the smae thing when loading in safe mode.

I'm currently on a laptop as my desktop isnt working.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi, I'm new here.

My computer isn't starting up properly at all. I have Windows XP. I think the problem is regarding either the Video Card or Windows.

Each time I start up the computer, pressing the power button. It loads up normally, but after 8 seconds or so the screen turns black but its still on.

I can get into the start setup and the advance setup options but it does exactly the smae thing when loading in safe mode.

I'm currently on a laptop as my desktop isnt working.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Hi, I would guess its your monitor. Hook up your monitor to your laptop and see if it does the same thing.

Good Luck

Tim

Hi, I would guess its your monitor. Hook up your monitor to your laptop and see if it does the same thing.

Good Luck

Tim

I tried the monitor on an old desktop and it works. The problem might be with XP but I can't reinstall at the start up. :confused:

I tried the monitor on an old desktop and it works. The problem might be with XP but I can't reinstall at the start up. :confused:

If you are ok with reinstall xp ,you could use a win98 boot disk and fdisk and remove the non dos [option 4 ] partition and create a new one ,then reboot format it and then boot to the xp disk ane reformat in ntfs ,and reload winxp maybe !!

That sounds more like a software problem than a hardware problem
You could use one of the Linux LiveCD's to test it without installing anything to the hard drive... (You may even like it...)

I agree with Carperjack...
Except...
I prefer Fat32 over NTFS drive format

That sounds more like a software problem than a hardware problem
You could use one of the Linux LiveCD's to test it without installing anything to the hard drive... (You may even like it...)

I agree with Carperjack...
Except...
I prefer Fat32 over NTFS drive format

ntfs is suppose to be more stable ,also you can create larger files with it than fat32 up to 2gig if i remember what i read awhile back

ntfs is suppose to be more stable ,also you can create larger files with it than fat32 up to 2gig if i remember what i read awhile back

Yeah casperjack is right. I'll prefer ntfs for larger drives .... (small ones arent used today).... ntfs has a bunch of features that fat32 doesnt.

The only real advantage of ntfs is for files larger than 4gig...
I have only needed that once ripping 8gig dvd to an ISO and got around that by making smaller vob's

I have seen many more people screw up ntfs than fat32

fat32 may not have as any features...
But I cant remember the last time I needed any of those features or know anyone that can name or describe them...

you can just enable large drive support when creating the partitons to work with more than 2GB's, though XP doesnt run as nice as it does on NTFS, my moms computer was XP on FAT32, just didnt run nearly as good as when we converted the drive to NTFS....

though this persons problems seems to be somthing driver related.

At what point does it go black, does it happen after a certain ammount of time, or at a certain point.

If its at the same point each time, it could be the point at which it switches from the SVGA drivers to the actual card drivers,

in which case you need to swap drivers (for working ones),

if it happens after an ammount of time at different points, it could be card related

you could try switching the video card for another one, just to run a test.

I had a card that did this in both safe and normal mode, and it turned out that the card had just basicly died.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.