Hello everyone! This is my first post. I am very frustrated and hope you can help.
I am running Win 2000 on an older computer. My brother saved my previous hard drive programs to a folder within the new setup. Attempting to use some of those programs may have contributed to the problems. I did a Dr. Watson log which I can post if I need to.
Here are my problems:
A message continues to pop up every few minutes when the computer is idle " ResourceManager::getArchiveStream - unable to find file in archive:config\stages\stages\ssManifest.xml " no matter how many times I tell it ok, or close it.
Also when I restart a message appears that says "you need to restart your computer before your changes take effect" even though I didn't change anything
I tried to delete some programs and re install in case it was them causing the problem, but I got into more problems. For instance I removed IE 6 and it went back to 5 and now i can't reinstall IE6, which I need for my Real estate program. It always tells me that a previous installation needs a reboot, and of course I have rebooted many times since.
There are a couple of other minor problems, but these are my stressful ones.
Please tell me what to do!
I have run an updated version of Norton, - no viruses found, spybot, and adaware, minor things found and cleaned up.
Thanks
Theresa Jones
On edit, I think I just figured out the exception! It is probably the Feeding Frenzy screensaver, which is not longer working because I deleted the game!
I will try to figure out how to delete the rest of it, but some help in doing that would be appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Ok I am proud of myself - after a week of frustration, I have fixed the first 2 problems - IE 6 is now installed and the screensaver causing thje exception is gone. All I am left with is the message which says I need to restart for my changes to take effect. Any ideas on that?

Sounds like something is making changes to your registry, and it sounds like you're stuck in a loop, shut down, writes new altered registry, now on bootup it has a registry error, so system goes back to last known working registry, which cycles you right back to the beginning.

Does Win2000 have System Restore? Could you go back to a previously working config from a time prior to when you messed about with all those programs from the older version of Windows?

Does Win2000 have System Restore? Could you go back to a previously working config from a time prior to when you messed about with all those programs from the older version of Windows?

Unfortunately not. I looked because I have it on other computers.
However I figured out the cause and fixed it. Wish I could remember what all that was and what I did. The computer is humming along nicely now. Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.