Last night I got home and activated the screen(from power saver), and found a screen full of popups, IE had not been open before.
When I got these closed, open IE and found it had totally changed. Lycos side search, Google toolbar gone, home page changed. Tryed SpyBot, found MANY adware entries, choose FIX PROBLEMS, all but BACK-WEB-LITE removed. After a restart all cleared. Now NO WEB pages, message asking to check network setting. Can access web via Windows Explorer and Mozilla.
Tryed reinstalling Windows XP PRO and later IE6, no help. Tryed a full (up-to-date) Norton Virus system scan, none found. Also ZoneAlarm Pro is in use, problem still there with ZAP shutdown.

Help

I shouldn't be surprised if you had newnet on there and this caused your present predicament.

If you do this it will help us to pinpoint your problem...

Please Download hijackthis from

http://tomcoyote.org/hjt

Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

After the scan has finished the "scan" button will turn into a "save log" button

save the log file and paste it here

Do not delete anything yet, as most things hijackthis finds are harmless and needed.

steam

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.