Hi
My old CD-RW drive died last week so I've purchased another and installed it. The problem is that the drive letters have changed.
Before my CD-RW drive was (D:) and my DVD ROM drive was (E:). But now they've both shifted one letter forward so they're: CD-RW drive (E:) and my DVD ROM drive (F:). :evil:
How has this happened and how can I change them back?
Thanks guys.

(Edited to disable similies)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi
My old CD-RW drive died last week so I've purchased another and installed it. The problem is that the drive letters have changed.
Before my CD-RW drive was (D:) and my DVD ROM drive was (E:). But now they've both shifted one letter forward so they're: CD-RW drive (E:) and my DVD ROM drive (F:). :evil:
How has this happened and how can I change them back?
Thanks guys.

(Edited to disable similies)

did you uninstall the drivers for the old drive before u took it out? if not then your machine probably thinks that you have two cd drives and a dvd drive running inside there. you will need to uninstall the old drivers for the old cd drive.

also in windows you can reassign drive letters by right clicking on the start menu and going to properties. click customise. check the administrative tools box. once you have checked the administrative tools option click apply and ok.

go back into start. go to administrative tools. go into computer management. go into disk management and from there right click your drive and select change drive letter and paths. from here you will be able to reassign your drive letters as D and E respectively.

dont worry its easy:D

did you uninstall the drivers for the old drive before u took it out?

Yes!

go into computer management. go into disk management and from there right click your drive and select change drive letter and paths. from here you will be able to reassign your drive letters as D and E respectively.

Done that too and the old letters (D & E) arent available anymore.
:( I dunno what to do

WTF?! I just went intp Device Manager and uninstalled both DVD rom and CDRW drives and "searched for new hardware"....... now if I go into "My Computer" I have:
CD Drive (D:)
CD-RW Drive (E:)
AND....
CD Drive (F:)

This is very confusing!

You can change the drive letters by right clicking my computer --> manage --> disk management --> right clicking any drive and first removing its drive letter and then reassigning it another one if it's available.

Problem solved, thanks for your advice.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.