Since you guys really seem to know your way around the computer I thought I'd take a chance and see if anyone has had a similar problem and found a solution to the Microsoft problem that seems to be going around.

I know I'm not the only one because I've read many other message boards where people are having the exact same problem, but no seems to know exactly what to do.

I'm almost ready to completely delete EVERYTHING, and re-load my windows XP Proffessional operating system and all the other programs I have because I might have some kind of virus or something, but here's the problem.

Microsoft's .net framework 2 and 3 and 3.5 FAIL TO INSTALL. I've tried everything, including what they reccomend which is to uninstall the original .net frame work files and patches and then go back to the updates page and start fresh. Problem is it won't un-install.

Everytime I try to un-install the corrupted files, (which is what Microsoft says I must do before I can fix the problem, a message comes up that basically says I cannot instal, repair or un-install it, so I'm stuck.

Everytime the critical update file downloads and tries to install, it says it could not install it.

Now that might not be a problem so much all by itself, but the problem is my computer has been shutting down unexpectantly, since I started having this problem and it's getting worse. It just freezes up at times and the screen goes black and I have to power down, then re-boot and sometimes it shuts down immediately after it re-boots, and after the 5 or 6th time it either stays on for a while or it shuts down and then I walk away for a few hours and try again.

So, I'm thinking of doing one of 2 things... :icon_evil: A) putting a stick of dynomite or C-4 in my cd-rom bay, lighting a match then leaving so I can go to the store and buy a Mack, or :icon_sad: B) deleting everything and I mean everything off all my disks and re-load everything and I mean everything from the operating system to my Adobe Flash program and starting over from scratch.

Thanks for your help guys I hope I didn't bore anyone too much

Steve

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Thread moved; to a board where you're more likely to get the best coverage..

Personally.. I wouldn't worry about uninstalling Windows if it's really playing up - Windows is only a program. Back up all of your data, of course; in a safe place, and virus scan or selectively bring back your data if you think it might be affected with something..

You have nothing to lose if you back everything up, except a cost in time of setting everything back up again.. That said, wait until / if someone responds who knows more about your specific problem..

I want to configure VLAN please tell me if some one know..........

here a few suggestions, first delete all temp files and fild the log file for windows update, try this Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type %windir%\windowsupdate.log, and then click OK. you can either delete the contents of the log or delete the log itself, (deleting will redownlaod all updates.......
the next step would be to uninstall all updates, co to control panel and clcik the option to show updates and remove them. .........

Next you can try to down laod the file your self and try if it will install without using the windows update site downlaod here

Post back and let us know

here a few suggestions, first delete all temp files and fild the log file for windows update, try this Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type %windir%\windowsupdate.log, and then click OK. you can either delete the contents of the log or delete the log itself, (deleting will redownlaod all updates.......
the next step would be to uninstall all updates, co to control panel and clcik the option to show updates and remove them. .........

Next you can try to down laod the file your self and try if it will install without using the windows update site downlaod here

Post back and let us know

Thanks so much, this helped alot, but to finish it up I went to the microsoft website and downloaded the Microsoft clean-up utility http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301, and then removed the .net framework files and then did all kinds of other stuff, (followed instructions) and it finally worked. The .net framework 2 and 3 were SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED F-I-N-A-L-L-Y !!!

:@ However, there are 4 remaining patches that were also successfully installed BUT, the updates force me to install those critical updates over and over and over again, ad naseau.

So as I checked the history of the downloads on the Microsoft update site I noticed something very peculiar :-O

It said the dates that I installed the updates were on February 25, 2008 and it's only February 6, 2008. Therefore, I think Mr. Gates needs to get off his lazy duff and put the right dates on those patches, because I think that's why the automatic updates as well as the critial updates force me to update the same patches over and over and over again.

I wonder if any of you have a similar problem or is it just me and the other posters on other bloggs or

:-O Maybe I slipped into a time machine and it really is February 25, 2008 and I just think it's February 6, 2008.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.