It doesnt happen too often, and when It does happen its only for 5 minutes or so and then things go back to normal, but when it does happen its very weird. When I go to open any folder, recycle bin, My Computer or My Documents folders, instead of seeing whats supposed to be in those folders, I see the contents of my desktop instead, all desktop files, folders and shortcuts are there. Then after A few minutes, everything goes back to normal again.

This started happening about a month ago and only happens once a week or after 3 or 4 days or so, its not too serious but im curious as to whats causing it. Ive ran malwarebytes and Avg virus scan and come up with nothing and ive always got comodo firewall running so Im not sure if its a virus.

Anyone have any Ideas?

Winxp Home Version 2002, Service pack 3.
Gateway 8510gz laptop- 2gigs ram

Hi,
Sounds like you need to remove a virus. Even though you have AVG you can still get a virus, Go to:-
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
or:-
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/WelcomePage.asp
Download and run to remove any viruses you may have. (Sometimes a virus will stop you accessing an anti-virus site, so try going through safe mode (Tap F8 on boot up) and see if you can access it there.)

Sometimes, some of the windows protected files can be lost or changed. To detect any problems run the program “System File Checker” (SFC). Before you run it you should purge your PC’s cache:-

Go to “START”
Click “RUN”
Type or “copy and paste”.. sfc.exe /purgecache

Note:- the space after “exe”.

The “purgecache” in this command will empty the cache before you run the file checker. You should always purge the cache before scanning with the System File Checker (SFC). That way, you can be sure that system files are copied from your Windows installation media, and are not infected with malware or corrupted. After the cache has been purged, run System File Checker.

Go to “START”
Click “RUN”
Type or “copy and paste”… sfc.exe /scannow

Note:- the space after “exe”. You may be required to use your installation disk.

This could take a long time to complete, when finished, reboot and see if the problem still exists.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.