Running XP SP3. Recently ran an update, upon restart got BSOD.
Restart, BSOD. Frustrated I left it alone for the night. In morning booted up everything worked fine. Started BitComet, BSOD. Same issue with restarting, BSOD. Entering Safe mode was no issue. Deleted some junk. Left alone for the night again, booted up fine in the morning. Later again, BSOD. Unsure what to do at this point. It can be off for hours, then go to BSOD. Doesn't seem to have a pattern really. Has been on w/o issue for less than a day at this time. Getting same errors each time;
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
0x0000009c
0x00000004
0x8054e5f0
0xb2000000
0x00070f0f

Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Sometimes, some of the windows protected files can be lost or changed. To detect any problems run the program “System File Checker” (SFC). Before you run it you should purge your PC’s cache:-

Go to “START”
Click “RUN”
Type or “copy and paste”.. sfc.exe /purgecache

Note:- the space after “exe”.

The “purgecache” in this command will empty the cache before you run the file checker. You should always purge the cache before scanning with the System File Checker (SFC). That way, you can be sure that system files are copied from your Windows installation media, and are not infected with malware or corrupted. After the cache has been purged, run System File Checker.

Go to “START”
Click “RUN”
Type or “copy and paste”… sfc.exe /scannow

Note:- the space after “exe”. You may be required to use your installation disk.

This could take a long time to complete, when finished, reboot and see if the problem still exists.

similar .
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284
alo this .0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).
the 09c lower left colum .
http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Hi caperjack,
Thank you for that catch, I did not think and I just ignored his error message and I should have checked it out. Maybe I am getting too lazy.

Hi caperjack,
Maybe I am getting too lazy.

to many hrs on daniweb can do that to you .lol

Pardon my noobness, but how can I check this hardware? If it in fact is ram, the only way to check it is by removing it and checking to see if Blue Screen comes back up? No additional hardware has been added in months. Just take a can of air to everything and re-seat all cables/connections?

Just take a can of air to everything and re-seat all cables/connections?

thats a start ,if you have 2 ram chips ,remove one and try computer ,if problem persist ,remove that one and try the other ,,see what happens .aldo you could download and create a bootable disk of memtest86 and boot computer to the cdrom and run the test ,best left overnight to check ram correctly .
http://www.memtest86.com/
check free download ,and get windows version ,iso for creating boot cd

Try the other ram slots if you have any vacant slots. You can also try to clean the ram connection by using an eraser. BTW did you try System Restore already? If you haven't then give it a shot, restore it from the date before you did the upgrade and see if you still get BSOD afterwards.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.