My computer freezes after we update to service pack 2 or after we update the graphics card.
The screen we flash multiple times until it completely freezes when viewing a video or running a large program.

System:
Microsoft Windows Xp Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 1

Hewlett-Packard Pavilion AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.20 GHz 512 MB of RAM

Graphics Card:
NVIDIA Geforce FX 5500

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

My computer freezes after we update to service pack 2 or after we update the graphics card.
The screen we flash multiple times until it completely freezes when viewing a video or running a large program.

System:
Microsoft Windows Xp Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 1

Hewlett-Packard Pavilion AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.20 GHz 512 MB of RAM

Graphics Card:
NVIDIA Geforce FX 5500

Check to make sure you have the latest versions of Flash Player and JAVA.
Whenever you upgrade to a new "Service Pack" it's best to do this;
1. Download the "Service Pack" or better if you have it on CD.
2. Disconnect from the Internet
3. Shut down (do not un-install) any and all Anti-Virus, Spyware and Firewall programs.
4. Running in "Safe Mode" optional, but recommended.
5. Install the "Service Pack" and updated drivers for your graphics.
6. Restart the PC, note, all protection programs will resume active upon restart.
7. Reconnect to the internet.
8. Update any thing else that might need to.

Now, for the graphics card, nVidia FX 5500, I had the exact same card in my XP Pro SP3 years ago and gave me problems every time I updated to the latest driver and had to roll back to version 83. or 87. something in order for it to work properly and even then on occasion it would still act up, I finally replaced that card with an ATI and never had a problem since.
I've now moved on to Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate x86/x64 and still use ATI graphics cards, they seem to play nicer with Windows than nVidia.

Thanks I will try that.

By the way do you know a good ATI graphics card that would work well with my computer?

Thanks I will try that.

By the way do you know a good ATI graphics card that would work well with my computer?

The one I put in my other home built that had XP SP3 and now running Vista Ultimate also is a Diamond Stealth S120/ ATI Radeon 9550, it's an older card, but it works great and haven't had any problems with it.
The one I use in this home built is an ATI/Radeon HD3450 w/Digital Sound. Great card for the price.

Do you think an HD card would be too much for my computer? Its about 6 years old.

Do you think an HD card would be too much for my computer? Its about 6 years old.

Should do fine, you might want to think about adding more RAM too.

Yeah we were thinking about that earlier.

Thanks!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.