Hello there......... probably I'm going to buy a new pc quite soon and I was wondering if now with W7 things are getting better.

I'm XP user since years and quite happy with it.

Someone has experience already and can give me opinion about W7?

I have never used W vista.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Hello there......... probably I'm going to buy a new pc quite soon and I was wondering if now with W7 things are getting better.

I'm XP user since years and quite happy with it.

Someone has experience already and can give me opinion about W7?

I have never used W vista.

hi, i like you had never used vista,and recently went from winxp to win7 and think its great and will never go back to winxp go for it

Going from XP to Win7 can be somewhat rough because things have moved, such as your home directory is not where it was in XP. Also if you get a computer with 64-bit motherboard then you will have 64-bit Win7, which in itself if quite nice. 64-bit Win7 is a great deal better than 64-bit XP. You may have some problems getting older games to work on Win7, especially if they try to install an old version of the service program that check to see if you have the DVD inserted in the DVD drive (I forget the name of the service program). I had to download a new version from Nvidia (they apparently bought it) that runs on Vista/Win7 and now the games works ok.

I do not use games.... so is ok...... I just scare about some drivers issue.

If you don't use games, then you shouldn't have any driver issues with Win7, you'll love it.
Easiest Windows version to install.

probably will be a good system, will see first need to find the money for a new PC I can not keep 24/7 my laptop on! and here in Italy when you buy a new PC they will give you included W7...

:P

check manufacturers web side for win7 drivers of the devices you are concerned about

web side

should be websites

As you are buying a new computer, you can be assured that there will be no problems with the drivers for your new machine and Windows 7. Upgrading your XP to windows 7 on your current machine might present a different situation.
You stated that you are not into gaming, mention this to the person you buy the new machine from and they will offer you computers to suit your needs, no use paying extra for a top of the line gaming machine if you don't need it.
Like you, I still use XP (even though I have Windows 7 on a separate drive) and I find W7 hard to get used to but as others here have said, it is a great program with a lot of good features. You will be lost looking for features from XP that you want but most are still there (just renamed or in different places) and you will find them after a while. I think I still have about 4 years of Microsoft support for XP but I may start to use W7 as my main system before then.
Good luck, and I trust that you will have no problems with your new computer.

If you want to upgrade an existing machine from XP to Win7 then you need to run the compatibility program -- get it here. That program will tell you if you have any driver issues.

I am using Win7 Ultimate on my desktop at home. It's 32-bit. Just take this one caveat: this particular installer CANNOT upgrade Win XP - it should be a fresh install.

Just check the web if there are available Win7 drivers for all your devices. Secure them first before you "migrate" to Win7. With all the needed drivers at hand, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Good luck!

I am using Win7 Ultimate on my desktop at home. It's 32-bit. Just take this one caveat: this particular installer CANNOT upgrade Win XP - it should be a fresh install.

Just check the web if there are available Win7 drivers for all your devices. Secure them first before you "migrate" to Win7. With all the needed drivers at hand, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Good luck!

all already said in above posts ,thanks for the recap

f you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Additional requirements to use certain features:

Internet access (fees may apply)

Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware

For some Windows Media Center functionality a TV tuner and additional hardware may be required

Windows Touch and Tablet PCs require specific hardware

HomeGroup requires a network and PCs running Windows 7

DVD/CD authoring requires a compatible optical drive

BitLocker requires Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2

BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive

Windows XP Mode requires an additional 1 GB of RAM, an additional 15 GB of available hard disk space, and a processor capable of hardware virtualization with Intel VT or AMD-V turned on

Music and sound require audio output

No no i will not upgrade my existing machine.... w7 will be on a new machine.

'''''' You will be lost looking for features from XP that you want but most are still there (just renamed or in different places) and you will find them after a while. ''''''

This is why I hate change system.... and also wonder why they have to modify all.......... I run my XP in ''old win'' style because i love it!!!! and see no gain in all those feature.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.