A friend of mine has a Acer L5100 running Vista. During the loading of Update 955430 (which is a pre-requisite for SP1) the update failed as did the update for SP1. At some point after - i.e. a couple of months - another update has caused internet to stop working (the machine will not connect other than "Local Access only").

There are no restore points back before the failed updates. Removing SP1 was possible but did not solve the internet problem. I can't download 955430 to run it again because the machine won't connect and I can't download it using this machine because it just wants to install it. You can't remove 955430 either.

So how do you get an update from Microsoft when you have no internet connection?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

A friend of mine has a Acer L5100 running Vista. During the loading of Update 955430 (which is a pre-requisite for SP1) the update failed as did the update for SP1. At some point after - i.e. a couple of months - another update has caused internet to stop working (the machine will not connect other than "Local Access only").

There are no restore points back before the failed updates. Removing SP1 was possible but did not solve the internet problem. I can't download 955430 to run it again because the machine won't connect and I can't download it using this machine because it just wants to install it. You can't remove 955430 either.

So how do you get an update from Microsoft when you have no internet connection?

There should be a download only option on the Microsoft website. Otherwise is the computer hardwired or wireless?

Stryker - thanks for the post but when ever I hit a download button on the Microsoft site I had no option other than it wanted to install on the machine that was connected. In the end I've given up and re-installed Vista...... painful....

Stryker - thanks for the post but when ever I hit a download button on the Microsoft site I had no option other than it wanted to install on the machine that was connected. In the end I've given up and re-installed Vista...... painful....

for future reference you need to download it from Microsoft ,not through the windows updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955430

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.