Hi All Can someone give me some insite on why my computer keeps restarting im running windows 2000 pro i,v reformaterd it hoping it would have fixed the problem but it hasnt it dosent seem to do it when i'm connected to the internet i'v done virus scans its not coming up with anything.

Cheers

Ellie

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi Ellie

By the fact that you have rebuilt your machine, and the problem exists, it seems likely that you could have a hardware problem. It could be a number of things, and I would be grateful of more information.

- How long after cold boot does the problem occur, (ie. same sort of time each time, or random)?
- After the problem occurs, does the system continue to work normally, or does it worsen, and happen frequently?
- Does the system seem to be excessively overheated at the time of reboot?

Let me know, David
(Cool Sig btw).

Also, We need to configure windows to crash to a blue screen, that way we can get more info. Thing is I dont remember how to do that. If somebody knows please share. Then when you computer crashes to a blue screen, post the exact message.

Hi thank for your help It seems to do it on the first boot of the day it loads to the desk top and about 2 to 5 min later it restarts it can do it up to 3 times so far and then it seems to be o.k (fingers crossed) the rest of the day and i take it back that it dont restart when connected to the internet cos it did it today :-(

Cheers
Ellie

To turn off the automatic reboot, go to Control Panel, System. Click on the Advanced tab, and under Startup and Recovery click on the Settings button. Uncheck Automatically restart under System Failure. The next time you have a problem you should see a blue screen. Report back the first few lines.

Unchecked auto reboot so will have to wait now untill the prob happens thanx all 4 your help will post my report when it happens

Ellie

Typical cos i'm waiting for the computer to crash it hasnt done it. It dose it every day and for the last 2 days it hasnt sods law

Hi All computer is restarting again but its only goint to the windows is starting up and then rebooting so im not geting an error report its doing it 2 to 3 times befor loading up completle hope you can help

cheers
Ellie

Check that all your system fans are working, especially in power supply and on CPU.

Hi All computer is restarting again but its only goint to the windows is starting up and then rebooting so im not geting an error report its doing it 2 to 3 times befor loading up completle hope you can help

cheers
Ellie

Hi
its ok it was the power supplie had to have a new 1

Cheers Ellie

Cool, glad you got it all worked out :),

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.