I have folder 1 on a USB drive 1965 folders containing 17937 files
I have folder 2 on C: this has 1942 folders containing 17662 files

I am in windows XP

How can I check if Folder 1 contains every file of folder 2?

Many thanks
esdel

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I have folder 1 on a USB drive 1965 folders containing 17937 files
I have folder 2 on C: this has 1942 folders containing 17662 files

I am in windows XP

How can I check if Folder 1 contains every file of folder 2?

Many thanks
esdel

open them and look=== for a long time given the numbers!
i don't know of any software to do it for you

open them and look=== for a long time given the numbers!
i don't know of any software to do it for you

THere MIGHT be a way as these are music files
MS MusicPlayer has a thingy called sync which sounds like it will copy ALL of folder 2 onto folder 1
But I do not want two of everything! What does synch actually do?

MS PLayer also offers to put "all your music" into one folder, so as 99% of the files in 2 are duplicates of those in 1, will it give me huge numbers of duplicated copies of existing files, thinking that c:/filenam is NOT J:/filenam

many thanks
esdel

Hi,
Two ways I can think of,
open folder two, select all, copy. go to file two paste. as each file reports "already exists, do you want to replace"?
1. click no 17662 times.
2. click yes and replace the 17662 files with a new copy.

Hi,
Two ways I can think of,
open folder two, select all, copy. go to file two paste. as each file reports "already exists, do you want to replace"?
1. click no 17662 times.
2. click yes and replace the 17662 files with a new copy.

Hi Bob
Thanks, that is a very sensible suggestion!

Far better than trying to find out whether MS Mediaplayer "sync" actually does what you want, and finding out by the usual error,error,chaos method forced on us by Bill!
No use asking Bill Gates as he has his hands hidden behind his back, as usual
Not that he also doesn't for copying files, but we do that every day and have already found out what that actually does!

Thanks very much
esdel

Hi Bob
Thanks, that is a very sensible suggestion!

Far better than trying to find out whether MS Mediaplayer "sync" actually does what you want, and finding out by the usual error,error,chaos method forced on us by Bill!
No use asking Bill Gates as he has his hands hidden behind his back, as usual
Not that he also doesn't for copying files, but we do that every day and have already found out what that actually does!

Thanks very much
esdel

maybe Bill didn't realize someday people like yourself would be out buying 17 thousand songs and [that's a lot of money you must be rich,I'm sure a good person like you didn't pirate them ] copying them to 2 different folders and then worry if they lost 1 or 2 of the 17000.
oh,and sync is for copying them to a mp3 device ,and i don't thing it will sync to another hard drive

commented: ;) +19

Thanks everyone for your help
esdel

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.