I wake up one morning and my PC is fine. Get back from classes, run AVG, adaware, spybot, and CWshredder to get rid of my hijacked homepage, reinstall WMP because it quit working, and with AVG found a virus called downloader.esepora.k. I reboot and I can't connect to the net anymore. No clue why I can't. My internet works because I hook my laptop up straight to it and it's fine. I'm on a college network. I also a few days ago set up a wireless router. Uniden. After I started getting the problem I unhooked it though, thinking it could be the problem, but I don't think it is. Dunno if the router or the trojan or something else could have screwed up my settings? My computer still responds when I unplug the ethernet cable or plug it in. Just no activity. Things I've done to try and solve the problem:

#1. Repair LAC - get error msg (Cannot renew ip)
#2. goto cmd. ipconfig /renew - get error msg (Similar to above, says it timed out.)
#3. Running a program called LSPFix (Didn't fix anything)
#4. Go into admin tools> services> dhcp client> set to automatic and start it (These settings were already correct)
#5. Get the IP, Gateway, router, and DNS addresses from my laptop, and hard coded them into the tcp/ip settings of my desktop's ethernet card. (Didn't work. It only took longer to realize it didn't work when looking up homepages.)

I'm clueless on what to do next. I'm thinking reformat, just don't want to have to go that far. Anyone got any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I wake up one morning and my PC is fine. Get back from classes, run AVG, adaware, spybot, and CWshredder to get rid of my hijacked homepage, reinstall WMP because it quit working, and with AVG found a virus called downloader.esepora.k. I reboot and I can't connect to the net anymore. No clue why I can't. My internet works because I hook my laptop up straight to it and it's fine. I'm on a college network. I also a few days ago set up a wireless router. Uniden. After I started getting the problem I unhooked it though, thinking it could be the problem, but I don't think it is. Dunno if the router or the trojan or something else could have screwed up my settings? My computer still responds when I unplug the ethernet cable or plug it in. Just no activity. Things I've done to try and solve the problem:

#1. Repair LAC - get error msg (Cannot renew ip)
#2. goto cmd. ipconfig /renew - get error msg (Similar to above, says it timed out.)
#3. Running a program called LSPFix (Didn't fix anything)
#4. Go into admin tools> services> dhcp client> set to automatic and start it (These settings were already correct)
#5. Get the IP, Gateway, router, and DNS addresses from my laptop, and hard coded them into the tcp/ip settings of my desktop's ethernet card. (Didn't work. It only took longer to realize it didn't work when looking up homepages.)

I'm clueless on what to do next. I'm thinking reformat, just don't want to have to go that far. Anyone got any suggestions?

ever thinkg of calling your ISP

I don't have an ISP, i'm on a college network. Yes i've called them and they can't get anyone here till tuesday. I'd kind of like to have it fixed by then.

CWshreader can cause this problem .

CWshreader can cause this problem .

wow it can? do you know the problem and how to fix it? Or perhaps a link to how to fix the problem?

I've tried the lspfix. And the 2nd link (whndnfix.zip) isn't for xp, but the WinsockXPFix is and i've tried that before too..last night actually

Hi, I had the same exact problem and it seem there was a conflict with my CA Security Suite. I uninstalled it completely from the Add/Remove Programs.

Reinstalled it with:
CA Anti-Virus
CA Anti-Spyware
CA Personal Firewall
CA Anti-Spam

Excluded:
CA Parental Control
CA Website Inspector
CA Desktop DNA Migrator

I hope this will resolve your issue even if you use another Security Software suite.

you have tried release and then renew you might try that two or three time i did that once for a gentleman and it worked, at lease try that before you redo you computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.