I use win 7 pro 64-bit. I am trying to install a 64-bit driver for my Mustek scanner. I keep receving the message "Error 1606. Could not access network location \." and the driver will not install. Contacted Mustek and they referred me to a Microsoft registry fix but my registry entries were correct and matched theirs. I applied the automated fix just in case but no difference. Still get 1606 error. Mustek refuses to help says its a Microsoft problem. Any ideas what I can try next?

Eileen

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I assume the scanner it's self is Win 7/64bit compliant if so try this, completely uninstall scanner.also uninstall drivers for scanner reboot computer then do a reinstall of scanner as per scanner manufacture using 64bit driver in place of original. post back progress. Later---

The scanner was never installed on this computer. It was installed on my old Vista 32-bit O/S but that driver would not install on my new 64-bit O/S.

I recently checked hteir website and saw they were now offering a Win 7 64-bit driver for htis scanner. I was happy that I could finally get it to work on my computer. Here is what I did:

I downloaded the driver for Windows 7. It was a .zip file that I extracted to my desktop and ran the setup.exe inside the folder. It begins the preparing for install and before it gets to "next" or anything like that it fails with the 1606 error.

The scanner has never been plugged in yet. I deleted the download and the extract. I searched the registry and removed any entry with mustek. I deleted all temp files and emptied the recycle bin. I rebooted and turned off the firewall and virus checker. I downloaded and extracted the files again and received the same 1606 error.

I worte Mustek again--no help from that quarter until this week when I received an email from them about the so-called Microsoft fix that I mention in my initial posting.

This is a great scanner (legal size) that I use for my home business. It is not that old--I purchased last year but before I bought the new computer so I would hate to buy another this soon.

Thanks for you knind suggestions.

Eileen

another try this, before installing 32bit driver yes I said 32bit driver right click file select compatibility tab/ select run in vista32bit compatibility mode/ then plug scanner in as per original instructions.Later---

I also have this problem, and I have Win7 Pro 32-bit, so I'm not sure if compatibility mode will work, either. I will try this when I get the chance, though. Please, please, please let me know ASAP if there is a fix out there!

Win 7 has the ability to run compatibility mode back to Win 95 as per compat menu. Later---

Actually, the Mustek scanner won't work properly in compatibility mode, iirc (I had to upgrade to 7Pro so I could run the WinXP emulator to get mine to work right) but Mustek has released a driver that is designed to work with Win7--I (we) simply can't install it due to the 1606 error. It would be much handier (i.e., I won't have to wait 10 minutes for bootup) for me to use the native OS than have to use WinXP emu every time.

another try this, before installing 32bit driver yes I said 32bit driver right click file select compatibility tab/ select run in vista32bit compatibility mode/ then plug scanner in as per original instructions.Later---

I tried this and I am sorry to say, it not only doesn't work but I am still trying to get my system back 100%. The drive install needed a restart but on the restart Win 7 would no longer start. I had to do a repair and finally a restore. The system restarted but my Outlook would no longer start I kept getting the message that it could not open the Outlook window. I thought I got that fixed but it just closed on my and wouldn't restart for the same reason. I used the same fix so I temporarily have email. I would not recoomend this approach.

You say you "tried this". What, exactly, did you try?

You say you "tried this". What, exactly, did you try?

"another try this, before installing 32bit driver yes I said 32bit driver right click file select compatibility tab/ select run in vista32bit compatibility mode/ then plug scanner in as per original instructions." Recommendation from earlier posting.

As I said in my origianl post I had the scanner running in Vista from the original CD install that I did when I purchased it.

When I said I tried this, I followed the above advice using my original 32 bit driver.

Ahh. Yeah, it is richly ironic that Win7 was supposed to cure all the ills along these lines that Vista supposedly posed--I had no problems getting any legacy hardware and many old apps working in Vista that 7 won't even touch anymore. Boo!

Follow the given steps:
1. Type regedit in the Run box to open the registry editor.
2. Now navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> Explorer -> User Shell Folders
3. Locate the key named “Recent” in the right side and delete it by right clicking on it.
4. Windows may require a restart.
The problem would have gone but if it hasn’t then have a look at these MS articles.

Follow the given steps:
1. Type regedit in the Run box to open the registry editor.
2. Now navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> Explorer -> User Shell Folders
3. Locate the key named “Recent” in the right side and delete it by right clicking on it.
4. Windows may require a restart.
The problem would have gone but if it hasn’t then have a look at these MS articles.

Remommendation: 1. Type regedit in the Run box to open the registry editor.

I tried this recommendation with a restart (also disabling anti-virus) and it did not work. I had read all the microsoft artcles and all of my registry keys matched their settings. I even had redirected the reference to the Documents folder back to its default on c:. I had moved it to another drive, J:. None of these changes worked.

I noticed in my research that most of the MD srticles referred to the message variable being %AppData%\ where my message variable is just \. I checked Shell Folders and User Shell Folders in both Hkey_Current_User and Hkey_Local_Machine and could not find an entry with the \ in front of it or as the only value.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.