Here's my situation...

My client has a Vista Home Premium 32-bit set as a remote computer for his client in Texas to store/use the printer off-site. Everything was working fine until one day the HDD crashed.

I put a new HDD in and re-installed the OS. Immediately I was told the clipboard and printer wasn't working. I did all the usual stuff, making sure the local resources were checked and all drives were working, etc. All the basics were covered and neither clipboard or printers were working.

So eventually I found that rdpclip.exe was not installed on Vista H.P. I copied the one from my XP Home to system32 and the clipboard works just fine now. When it's not working, a simply task manager kill and running rdpclip.exe gets it going nicely.

But... printers are not working. And by that, I mean in control panel / printers, my local printers do not show up. Nor do my drives (even though yes, they are checked on the remote desktop connection screen, local resources... and in the default.rdp file). Nothing under the remote PC's Control Panel / Printers or in Network (only local -- ie where the remote machine is -- devices, computers, printers show up there).

I really need this resolved and I have no clue where to go from here. If I were to charge hourly to fix this, they'd be owing me over a grand for the time!

Hoping someone can help!

Jake

My machine and my client's clients machine is XP Home. Mine is SP3, not sure on theirs.

I have Norton AV, the remote PC has AVG Free 9.0

If it matters, both machines are running .net 3.5

Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I thought for sure someone could help from this forum. I guess I was mistaken. Does anyone know of a place where I could ask a question like the above and get some assistance? Maybe an IT forum where people can join for free, post questions and get advice or assistance from the community?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jake

Remote Desktop Printer

Remote desktop printing is a technology to print documents in a remote desktop. You could get plenty of software for remote desktop printing. Remote desktop is actually a normal printer. You could use any of the printers like ink jet printer, laser printer, dot matrix printer to print data in a remote desktop.

Features

Remote desktop printing has a plenty of features. If you are using a remote desktop then you could make hard copy documents with the help of a local printer. If you need to use a remote printing in your remote desktop you need to install the correct driver. You could get third party tools to solve issues with remote desktop printing. ‘TSPrint’ is a software for fixing issues with remote desktop printing. It includes a plenty of features. Using this, you could avoid installing device drivers on your server for each printer.

Norton is most likely the cause as it seems to block things you want working and allow things that you don't want. Has your customer ever used Team Viewer to do what he wants? Google it and try it out and see what you think. I have used Team Viewer on a few customers PC's to great effect!

Norton is most likely the cause as it seems to block things you want working and allow things that you don't want. Has your customer ever used Team Viewer to do what he wants? Google it and try it out and see what you think. I have used Team Viewer on a few customers PC's to great effect!

Yes team viewer is great program! Norton is not so effective, don`t like it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.