Cannot revert hardrive using System Restore with Windows Xp Home (SP2). Norton 2006 reports a clean harddrive. Also, SpySweeper reports a clean harddrive. Any Ideas? Recently had my HJT log checked for virus's and spyware I may not have seen. The HJT log was checked by members of this forum.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Run services.msc and see if system restore service is running or not...

try looking for a windows update for system restore

You werent really clear if there just wasnt any system restore points or there were restore points but you couldnt restore them. I am going to assume there were no restore points. To fix this, Right click on "My Computer" and goto the "System restore" tab. If system restore is not switched on then that is probably your problem.

You werent really clear if there just wasnt any system restore points or there were restore points but you couldnt restore them. I am going to assume there were no restore points. To fix this, Right click on "My Computer" and goto the "System restore" tab. If system restore is not switched on then that is probably your problem.

I apologize for my lack of detail. There are system restore points(many). However no matter which point I use, when the system restarts the system restore states that it failed to revert my drive. I'm attempting to find the problem with this. System Restore is turned on and active and again I do have restore points. Any ideas for my problem?

I apologize for my lack of detail. There are system restore points(many). However no matter which point I use, when the system restarts the system restore states that it failed to revert my drive. I'm attempting to find the problem with this. System Restore is turned on and active and again I do have restore points. Any ideas for my problem?

I am having the exact same problem. Anyone find a solution and/or reason for this yet?

Brian

The problem might be caused by Norton 2006. I have had the same problem since April right after I upgraded my Norton, system restore could not complete. I just found a document that Symantec has at the following url http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfdocs/2005113009323013

I just did this and created a new restore point waited a day, till an automatic point was created, then went back and did a restore and it worked.

Symantec tells you how to uncheck Turn protection on for my symantec protect. Then run restore, and then turn symantec protection back on. What I read said that restore points created with it on will not work. So I have not turned the symantec protection back on.

Hope this helps

My system restore does not respond to anything nor can i run ms config i get a warning that windows cannot find. My computer is working good and i also cannot download advast or avg anti virus any help would be good Grb

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.