Hello - I had to re-install Windows (98SE) the other day, and since then, I've been unable to access any secure pages such as checkout pages on shopping sites. Also, my son is unable to open his Hotmail email or MSN message board. I've re-installed IE version 6, but still no joy. I've also run virus and spyware checks, but nothing seems to work. Altering the security settings in IE doesn't have any effect either. Everything else works fine. Thanks - David

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Are you on a router? What type of internet connection do you have?
Check the level of internet security you are currently on.
You can do this by going to:

:idea: Tools. :idea:
Click Internet Options.
An options window should sppear on the screen.
Right next to the General tab, click Security.
Look at the level of security you are on.
-----
Also, if you are behind a firewall, this could be your problem.
-----
In the Options window, click Privacy. It could be on a high level, blocking certain cookies.
-----

If its a problem with your modem/router, I would check with my ISP (Internet Service Provider).

-----
I hope this helps :D :cool:
-----
P.S - I forgot that you said the internet security options don't work sozz, don't mind any of that instruction. lol

I had the same problem with not being able to access secure sites. I found the solution on symantec.com. It's a conflict with norton antivirus software and the solution is posted. Basically you register two dll files and it will work. I don't have the link handy but type in cannot access secure site and you should get a hit on their search. You could also mention banking. Note: I couldn't do the test suggested in the solution, but just registered the dll files and it worked fine.

commented: Thanks for sharing that info :) -- dlh +4

I'm having the same problem with two of the computers within our company, we have about 35 total. Secure sites won't come up at all. If you remember the link for Symantec please post it, this seems to be happening a lot.

In any IE Window, goto Help, "About Internet Explorer", Verify "Cipher Strength: 128 bit"

The Cipher strength is okay, all the IE settings are okay. I even went to the Dell website and did their recommendations still nothing. From what I've seen on the web the most common solution is to reinstall windows XP. Don't really want to do that but may not have a choice.

The links on that page don't work. I'll check the host files to see if that helps.

I just now went and "Dug" into the Links, This Should get ya to Useful Info.

http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/ie_2.html

There's at least two links There, and One I used for a prob I'm having! ;-)

Jeeeimminey!!...Tried Myself to find the Page bonnie mentioned, 7 pages and 45 mins later, I'm Glad I use eTrust!!
Check This Page, We Windoze users expect to have to deal with probs from microsoft products.....http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/17.html

But Not our Other Software.

If it doesn't come up, try Refresh

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.