My PC is ten years old running Win 98 SE, and several years back I bought a CPU from Oregon to increase the speed, and this still works fine.

Unfortunately, the PCI Ethernet Controller is bad and I keep getting a message on start up, "needs new drivers for PCI Ethernet Controller or the software to make the device work." I may need a new PCI Ethernet Card, but I have a friend with 20 old ones in his garage.

My real problem is that the CD-Rom drive opens and closes, but won't read any disks.

I seem to remember that you can right click on the properties for the CD-Rom drive under hardware devices, and then click on something to use the default drivers, but when doing this, it is best to backup your system in case it fails??

My friend doesn't think Win98 has drivers built in to use for the CD-Rom drive.

Maybe I need a new or used CD-Rom drive??

Is there any way to check to see if the CD-Rom drives cam read disks, and then can I find the default drivers for the CD-Rom drive somewhere on board?

Thanks, Thom

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Win98 SE does have built in drivers for cd rom drives.
you may need to change the drive.

Yes i also think you need to change the cd rom drives.

Win98 SE does have built in drivers for cd rom drives.
you may need to change the drive.

Replaced the drive with a CDRW, and it works fine, but you are correct, there are drivers for the CD-Rom Drive.

Thom

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.