Hello after xp boots up the desk top just blinks every few seconds. It will show the desk top for a few seconds then it just gives a blank screen then shows desktop for a second then blank screen? Any Ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

sounds like a video problem ,did you try booting to safe mode and see what happens ,safe mode ='s hitting f8 on bootup chose safe mode

Thanks, Yeah It still does the same thing in safe mode. This is and IBM thinkpad laptop so I don't think the video card can be replaced can it?

it may not be a video problem ,i was just guessing , some laptops have removable video chips ,most don't i think .
laptop get hot ,have you cleaned the heat sinc and fan lately ,we use a can of compressed air to keep them clean here .it really doesn't take much dust to make them actup ,

Thanks do I have to take get to the motherboard to blow it off? I took off a couple panels but I can only see ram and the hard drive.

Sorry about that I meant do I have to get to the motherboard to blow it off

Elaborate on "blank screen". Is it black, white, blue... ?

It just shows the desk top wallpaper when it blanks out. When windows starts up you see the desk top icons for a second then it blanks out and you only see the wallpaper and then you see the icons for a second then wallpaper then icons for a second then wallpaper .....etc. Thanks

Okay, that is your explorer.exe [the GUI shell] stopping, restarting. You likely have some sort of infection. You can work without explorer, it's just tedious.
Start a browser by opening Task Manager and typing eg... firefox into the File > New task box. You can then use your browser as a GUI somewhat like explorer : simply type eg. C:\ into the address bar; you C: root folder will be displayed. You can start an application by dclicking it in this window, open a text file, whatever. If your programs are in E:\program files, type in E:\ into the address bar, then go down and dclick Program Files. And so on. So:
==Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
from: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html
or: http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe
=Dclick that file, mbam-setup.exe, to install the application,
***** Start it either by typing its pathname into the TM Run box. eg C:\mbam-setup.exe, or use your browser as I explained above.*****
-ensure that it is set to update and start, else start it via the icon, and UPDATE it.
Select "Perform QUICK Scan", then click Scan; the application will guide you through the remaining steps.
ENSURE that EVERYTHING found has a CHECKMARK against it, then click Remove Selected.
If malware has been found [and removed] MBAM will automatically produce a log for you when it completes... do not click the Save Logfile button.
Examine the log: if some files are listed as Delete on Reboot then restart your machine before continuing.
Copy and post that log [it is also saved under Logs tab in MBAM].

Thanks But how do I start task manager when its blinking back and forth. It wont respond to anything. It wont let me click on the start button.

By the way I need to say this is a great website, so much help here amazing site.

Thanks

I wandered off... I use Ctrl-Alt-Del. Also Ctrl-Shift_Esc.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.