Hi,

I have my own registered domain. I want to set up my own DNS server and host a website completely independent of any third party hosting service. I have Windows Server 2003 (I am new to this terminology and am not sure if I am using it correctly). Lets say my domain is xyz.com How do I go about setting up this infrastructure so that I can have my own DNS set up and host my website ?

Any tut's/guides is highly appreciated.

server is hosted with netrackservers.com

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi,

I have my own registered domain. I want to set up my own DNS server and host a website completely independent of any third party hosting service. I have Windows Server 2003 (I am new to this terminology and am not sure if I am using it correctly). Lets say my domain is xyz.com How do I go about setting up this infrastructure so that I can have my own DNS set up and host my website ?

Any tut's/guides is highly appreciated.

server is hosted with netrackservers.com

Greetings and Felicitations

You say you are new to the terminology, I don't know if this also means you are relatively inexperienced, however, I really don't recommend running your own DNS servers. You are almost always better-served by using your registrar, hosting service or a third-party DNS provider.

But if you are determined, the basic process for setting-up your DNS would be to first add A records to your domain, for the name server, then register your name server. This is different from specifiying which name server to use for your domain.
The process does vary from registrar to registrar and you will have to research your registrar's documentation to discover their process on exactly how to do this.

To register a name server the domain name and IP address need to be specified, you are basically declaring that this is a name server and nothing else. The domain, or domains, the name server resolves is not specified.

Once registered you can reference your name server in exactly the same way as you would reference your registrar's, your hosting provider's or third-party name servers. Create NS records, giving the names of your name servers.

However, this is a very basic overview and unless you are really adventurous and ready to resolve a number of problems, I would suggest you do not go down this path. There are easier ways of skinning DNS ... ;)

I wish you much luck - and keep smiling

Hello,

First of all, you need to register your DNS server with ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) for anyone to actually find it. The easiest way is to register a domain on somewhere like GoDaddy or another domain hosting site that will let you manually edit the DNS records or at least set up forwarders to your own DNS.

thank you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.