when i tried to go to get my auto updates from IE by going to tools
then windows update i get this ERROR MESSAGE NO:0x8DDD0004

PLEASE HELP HOW DO I FIX IT
IM USING WINDOWS XP SP2

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Run through the steps listed in this article and see if that helps.

when i tried to go to get my auto updates from IE by going to tools
then windows update i get this ERROR MESSAGE NO:0x8DDD0004

PLEASE HELP HOW DO I FIX IT
IM USING WINDOWS XP SP2

well i tried it all and it still dosent wrk
but this is whAT HAPPEN WHEN I DID THIS:
I WAS TOLD MY MS TO GO TO START
THEN
CONTROL PANEL
THEN USER ACCOUNTS
CLICKED ON IT AND GOT 2 DIFFERENT SCRIPT ERRORS
EACH TIME I TRIED
1ST ONE:
LINE 4
CHAR 1
ERROR:ACCESS IS DENIED
CODE 0
2ND ONE:
line 345
char 1

HELP PLEASE AGAIN

Are you logged in as an administrator? Also, you might want to check your windows update log file for more detailed errors. The log file should be:

c:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log

Are you logged in as an administrator? Also, you might want to check your windows update log file for more detailed errors. The log file should be:

c:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log

i did all of that
administrator?
what is that?
thanks

i did all of that
administrator?
what is that?
thanks

no im not one
how do i get the windows update file log?
what r the steps to see it
thanks

I banged my head against the wall trying to come up with a solution to this problem. I, too have several Dell workstations that errored on Auto updates. (0x8DDD0004). Also the antivirus program on the PC's would not update as well. McAfee Enterpise could not find "valid repositories" when trying to update the defs. After several application reinstalls and registry edits, it finally struck me. And the knuckleheads in Redmond should take note of this if they visit here...

I had updated these machines before from Microsoft with optional hardware updates. One of these updates was for the NIC. An Intel PRO/1000 MT to be precise. I checked the date on this driver before installing it, and it was more current than my existing one. Makes sense to install it then, right?

Wrong.... I rolled back to the original NIC driver and the problem(s) got solved. Just another example of the jerks at Microsoft not bothering to beta-test anything. They leave that up to the slobs who purchase their crap.

NEVER accept device driver updates from Microsoft Windows Update!

ALWAYS get device driver updates from manufacturer websites!

Well, I agree with that. I learned it the hard way. I just wonder why the dopes at Microsoft are offering bogus downloads that will sabotage their own O/S.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.