I recently updated from 2000 to xp. by deleting the first partition then going over it. now when you try to log off it goes to a black screen and stays there. i have waited for like a few min. but it still stays there. when i swithc users its fine. ANy ides :idea:

-T

Edit:

Ok i found that prob. on microsoft.com

there really is no solution.

I was just wondering if there was a way that when i started up the computer i didnt go to the welcome screen or the classic welcome screen it just went straight into the account. bassically i dont want to have to select a user from the welcome screen.

-T

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Bump

About your original issue - please post the link to the article from Microsoft in case anyone else who comes here has that problem and so people like me, who like to be in the know, can understand more about it. Also - Google caches these forums so it's a good practice to let everyone know what you know so others who search on the problem don't wind up here just to find that you found an article describing the cause yet didn't post it. Thanks!

Your second issue about auto-login:

Google search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=administrator+auto-login+xp

Second result from above search: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231

Quoted text from MS:

You can also use turn on automatic logon without editing the registry in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and in Microsoft Windows XP Professional on a computer that is not joined to a domain. To do this, follow these steps: 1.Click Start, and then click Run.2.In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.

Note When users try to display help information in the User Accounts window in Windows XP Home Edition, the help information is not displayed. Additionally, users receive the following error message: Cannot find the Drive:\Windows\System32\users.hlp Help file. Check to see that the file exists on your hard disk drive. If it does not exist, you must reinstall it.
3.Clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box, and then click Apply.4.In the Automatically Log On window, type the password in the Password box, and then retype the password in the Confirm Password box.5.Click OK to close the Automatically Log On window, and then click OK to close the User Accounts window.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Now it gets stuck on the starting up screen i uncheecked the box.... that said u need a user name and password to get oon

Heh got it read instructions wrong :o

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.