my friend has a low update rate when on his computer. i noticed that his memory was not showing the full amount. i upgraded his ram to 2 gigs and not all his new ram was detected. it was a small percentage and the ram itself was more than double what he previously had. there was no appreciable improvement. i thoroughly researched the new ram and am certain it is the correct memory. it is a 2002 compact laptop v2000. where do i check next? thankyou patdeeley

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

somehow i lost an answer and would like the responder to know that i removed the 256,512 stix from the laptop and relacd them with two 1 gig stix. most of the memory was detected but not all. there is nothing fancy on the laptop and i would expect to see all the ram detected. thankyou, patdeeley

It could be something as simple as part of the RAM being used for Video memory. I would check the BIOS and see what it shows instralled.

Test the RAM. Memtest86+. Dl the iso or USB versions, do the build [eg.. burn it] and then boot from that medium. run the test for an hour or more. One failure means bad RAM.
Just cos a shop sold it doesn't mean it is in working condition.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.