I work as a tech on a college campus, and as prepartion to eventually go to Vista, we loaded up a couple of our administrators as guinea pigs to test out Vista for us. We've had issues, but the one that's really annoying is this:

We have a large network, with a print server that we run all of our printers off. In Vista, I cannot hook a printer up through the network, it has to be added locally. To make it more irritating, said printer will disconnect on the comp, in which case I have to go through the process of re-adding it each time. That I could actually live with, except each time I re-add it, I can't delete the old printer and have to rename the new add something different so it won't conflict with the previous one. Because I can't delete the old one, and this happens fairly frequently, the user has some 25-30 printers loaded, only 1 of which works.

I can live with the constant re-adding of the printer, but if someone has an idea on deleting the hoard of unusable printers, I would greatly appreciate it. :icon_cheesygrin:

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Actually did do that :icon_neutral:. I had so much trouble with getting Vista to network, that he has both a network account and a local account, both of which are administrator. He's tried on both accounts, I've tried with my network admin, and local admin. Tried with it on LAN, wireless, both turned completely off................ It's just this very bizarre thing that doesn't seem to make any sense at all. I'm still doing research, and if I find an answer, I'll happily post it, I'm still hoping that someone else has come across it and knows a way around it :).

Thanks

Actually did do that :icon_neutral:. I had so much trouble with getting Vista to network, that he has both a network account and a local account, both of which are administrator. He's tried on both accounts, I've tried with my network admin, and local admin. Tried with it on LAN, wireless, both turned completely off................ It's just this very bizarre thing that doesn't seem to make any sense at all. I'm still doing research, and if I find an answer, I'll happily post it, I'm still hoping that someone else has come across it and knows a way around it :).

Thanks

Hi, I was having a very similar problem in that I couldn't delete old network printers from my Vista Business machine (I only had the one though, not your 100's !!)
What eventually worked for me was I discovered the Print Management applet under Administrative Tools. Using that I found my old printer and told it to clear all jobs from it, then the printer vanished.

May help, may not, but it worked for me - Good luck.

Salsiccia

It didn't work for me, but thanks so much for trying. Sprry for the delay on answering as well, I've been dealing with some health issues, and haven't enjoyed being on the computer as much until lately.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.