I'm not able to locate Disk Defragmenter under System tools. How do I reinstall it from my Win 98SE CD. I also checked the Windows Setup tab but was unable to find Disk Defragmenter under any main components.

Right-click your desktop. Then go New > Shortcut In the command line put;

C:\WINDOWS\DEFRAG.EXE

Click Next > (button) Type; Disk Defragmemter in the box. Click the Finish (button)

if the Defrag.exe is missing then try this

Browse to C:\Windows\Options\Install\Win_16.CAB folder and locate DEFRAG.EXE file. Right click on it and select the EXTRACT option. Place it in the C:\Windows folder.

You can run it from the Start - RUN and enter DEFRAG.

I'm not able to locate Disk Defragmenter under System tools. How do I reinstall it from my Win 98SE CD. I also checked the Windows Setup tab but was unable to find Disk Defragmenter under any main components.

Issue resolved.

Thank you.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with mending it.

Download "Diskeeper Lite"

It's free, a lot better, works far more quickly and doesn't keep restarting.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. But, now that the regular defragmenter works, I guess I'll stick with it. My PC doesnt restart when the defragmenter runs. I disable the screensaver before running defragmenter and make sure that theres no scheduled tasks.

Actually i agree with that too:)
Sam,

Its good to defrag after a scandisk in SAFE MODE, so that nothing interrupts its job.

WHERE U CAN DOWNLOAD DISKEEPER LITE AT?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.