I'm trying to delete a .avi file that I have on an external hard drive in the limewire incomplete downloads folder. I've tried every option I know of and everytime I try to delete it says it's being used by a different program.

I've tried restarting, shutting down, closing programs in task manager, running in safe mode, changing attributes in windows explorer, and using a program called GiPo@MoveOnBoot. None of these have worked. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Joe

it is not a perfect idea, but i 'd like to change its extension.

Thanks for the ideas, but they wouldn't have worked. The problem was that the file was being previewed in the explorer window, but was a divx file and windows was trying to open the whole file and the system was saying explorer was using the file, therefore it couldn't be changed or deleted. I had to disengage the autopreview to delete the file. If anyone else needs to know how to do this leave a message here and I'll let you know.

Thanks again
Joe

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.