My computer will not display red. I run Windows 98, I have a Dell D1728D-LS 15" monitor (I've tested another monitor, same problem) and a NVidia GEForce2 MX400 graphics card (I've tested another graphics card, same problem). I'm using the default "Plug and Play Monitor" driver, as my best attempts (repeatedly searching multiple websites, including Dell's) have failed to produce a driver for this specific monitor. I've tried turning off hardware acceleration and booting in safe mode, but neither fixed the problem. I've just about arrived at the conclusion that my motherboard is damaged or flawed, and I just want to be sure I haven't missed anything. Any suggestions (short of a new motherboard)?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

My computer will not display red. I run Windows 98, I have a Dell D1728D-LS 15" monitor (I've tested another monitor, same problem) and a NVidia GEForce2 MX400 graphics card (I've tested another graphics card, same problem). I'm using the default "Plug and Play Monitor" driver, as my best attempts (repeatedly searching multiple websites, including Dell's) have failed to produce a driver for this specific monitor. I've tried turning off hardware acceleration and booting in safe mode, but neither fixed the problem. I've just about arrived at the conclusion that my motherboard is damaged or flawed, and I just want to be sure I haven't missed anything. Any suggestions (short of a new motherboard)?

That Sony-built monitor works fine with Plug-and-Play, which is why no separate driver is available. If you have tried 2 separate video cards, what brand was the second card? If it's another nVidia card, it might have inherited the driver settings from the first card. Have you checked the nVidia-specific settings in the Desktop Properties menu?

While I find it doubtful in the extreme that it's the motherboard (everything color-related is on the video card), anything is possible...

my sis-inlaw had the same problem....we changed the monitor and the problem was solved....try it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.