Hope u experts out there can help me with this 2 mth long issue I'm having it is preventing me from using my desktop.
Originally my operating system was windows ME but I had a friend install windows xp years ago. My question is "Can I use the recovery disk that came with the computer (windows ME), or will I be restoring windows ME? I am having very strange issues, may be a virus, Can't tell cause I can't click on tabs for my Mcafee. As a matter of fact, can't click on tabs at all- my bank site is affected, gmail runs in html version, my work site cannot click on tabs, microsoft's even affected. I can click but nothing happens like it won't open the next page or it will say done at the bottom and yet page is blank. I have no access to system restore (it's blank) and I've tried reinstalling adobe, java, even changed script settings. I think it's something stupid cause it started happening soon after I changed settings, security and otherwise, I did return default settings but to no avail. PLEASE HELP!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

1. Your ME disc will restore ME (if it will even let you)
2. Dont use your banking sites/email/dont type any passwords in while the system is acting funny, use another computer
3. Sounds like you have a serious issue/s .. it is very difficult to explain how to fix everything in a few lines. I might be able to help you via PM. Let me know if you're interested.

Try and use system restore to a point before you had the problem.
Then run malwareantibytes/spybot and then run virus scan.
----------------
Safe mode restore
To start System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:
1. Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.
2. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.
3. If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.
4. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
5. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.
----------------
Non safemode restore
Use System Restore
After you've decided to use System Restore to revert your system to a previous state, start the System Restore Wizard and follow the prompts. To use the System Restore Wizard, make sure you're logged on as an administrator, and then follow these steps:
1.Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
2.On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.
3.On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you'd like to restore to and then click Next.
4.On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, verify that the correct restore point is chosen, and then close any open programs.
5.Click Next if you are ready to proceed or click Back to change the restore point.
6.The computer will shut down automatically and reboot. On reboot, you'll see the Restoration Complete page, and then click OK.
After reviewing the stability of your system, you can choose another restore point or undo this restoration. Just open System Restore and make the appropriate choice. After you use System Restore, you'll have an additional task, Undo my last restoration, on the System Restore Welcome page. Remember that you'll have to reinstall any programs that were installed after the restore point.
----------------
grayfox99 is 100% on the mark "Dont use your banking sites/email/dont type any passwords in while the system is acting funny, use another computer."

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.