I'm trying to reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on my Dell INSPIRON 15 laptop. I have moved all of the files and folders that I would like to keep off of my computer, and was planning on simply overwriting all the leftover data with the Windows installation. So I booted from the Operating System CD that came with my computer, entered my language, and was prompted to choose between the 'Upgrade' option, or the 'Custom' install option. I opted for the 'Custom' option so that I could overwrite the leftover files and folders on my hard drive, but got an error as soon as I clicked it saying the following:

"Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation."

The error code is: "0xE0000 100".

Is my Operating System CD corrupt? If so, is there any way for me to fix it? Or is there something wrong with my computer? And if so, how would I fix that? Or maybe I need to get a replacement Operating System CD from Microsoft? And if so, how would I go about getting a new one?

Any ideas or suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Google and get memtest and run it for atleast 7 passes. If you get any error messages then your ram needs to be replaced!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.