I've recently noticed that my pagefile.sys thing is at 700+ megabytes and that might be what's slowing down my system, and I just want a little extra diskspace. Is there any SAFE way to change this so it's not so big, maybe making a new file with the same name, then deleting the old one?

I heard it has something to do with freeing memory, but I know nothing about it.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I'm 90% sure that you can just delete the pagefile, and Windows will recreate a new one for you.

I'll check this out later, and report back.

I've recently noticed that my pagefile.sys thing is at 700+ megabytes and that might be what's slowing down my system, and I just want a little extra diskspace. Is there any SAFE way to change this so it's not so big, maybe making a new file with the same name, then deleting the old one?

I heard it has something to do with freeing memory, but I know nothing about it.

Well, 'Mr Gates'...

(Windows XP Solution - May not be exact)

• Right Click On My Computer and click Properties. Click on the Advanced tab, and click on the top settings button, under the performance frame. Click on the Advanced tab of the dialogue that pops up. Click on Change. Click on the Custom Radio button and set the minimum and maximum figures of one and a half times your physical memory capacity (eg: 64MB Ram: 64MB + Half of 64MB = 64 + (64 / 2) = 64 + 32 = 96. You can of course adjust these figures but thats the default. Next time you start Windows, the paging file will be limited to that amount.[/list:u]
  • :D

Thank you both. :)

I seem to have forgotten how I programmed Windows XP. :D

Why not just pay someone else to do it with all your money?

I'm too busy using it to kiss ass to other companies and libraries to make my appearance look better to the public. :shock:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.